Quai d’Orsay 50 Popularity

Probably a combination of factors including

People like to try new things
People like the relatively low price
People started saying good things about them so others start thinking there missing out on something good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, db13 said:

Very good cigars. Can’t wait to try one with 3-5 years age down the road. They still smoke well young, but way overhyped imo. Speaking of which, can anyone comment on how the new banded Coronas Claros are smoking? Do these need considerable time down? I have a box I haven’t touched yet. I guess there is only one way to find out...

Let us know if you break into them, I have a box as well , along with the 50's and 54's.....because I am a sucker for hype?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, db13 said:

I have a box I haven’t touched yet. I guess there is only one way to find out...

Yep, truisms in CC's are as follows 

Young good cigars become great aged cigars

Young mediocre cigars become old mediocre cigars

young terrible cigars become the best cigars you'll ever own..............hahhahaahhaha this is how unfair CC's can be!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I may be biased, but likely more experienced now. Last summer I had several 50’s and they were not so special. Couple weeks ago I had a 54 and it was my favorite new cigar I’ve tried in months. I think I may be very slightly biased towards wanting to like them. But then again I know what I like and what I don’t like pretty clearly in life and cigars. I’m a buyer. But not at a penny over regular cost. 

• Like 1

In my opinion of limited experience, the 50’s and 54’s will benefit from age, but seem to offer the signature smooth, sweet and mild QdO taste in less time than the Coronas Claros. 

I was fortunate to taste an aged FoH prize stick old-band Coronas Claros a few years ago (damn you Rob!), which resulted in purchasing several 2016 boxes right before they dried up. Early samples tasted like absolute crap, but the transformation to present has been remarkable. The 50/54 blend smokes much better in the first year than the old school Coronas, IMO. So instant gratification to a certain extent is fueling the hype, I think. 

• Like 1

I find the rush to get them when they come up on 24:24 crazy. I’ve had the 54 and 50 and while good cigars, there are plenty of others I prefer. When they were released the price for them was excellent, so maybe that helped. 

I wonder if our online community is a bit unique in what we buy. The 54 and 50 have been readily available in every cigar shop/lcdh I have been to in the last 12 months, although I have only recently seen the coronas back in stock. 

• Like 1

I myself have not gotten wrapped up in the hype. Don't really care much for 2 sizes available. Wish they had offered one with smaller ring gauge. Getting tired of this move to larger ring gauges across the board.

1 hour ago, BarryVT said:

I myself have not gotten wrapped up in the hype. Don't really care much for 2 sizes available. Wish they had offered one with smaller ring gauge. Getting tired of this move to larger ring gauges across the board.

The coronas pop up once in a while. I got lucky and stumbled onto them on the host site about 2 weeks ago during the holiday. They do exist but you have to be patient.

Cigar hype is a real thing. I got a box of 50s as well and you know what, maybe because I’ve been seeing them all over the internet everywhere I look.   Before my transition into exclusive CC I was seduced by gushing Instagram posts about how good the NC Fuente Opus X Lost City was.  I forked out the prettiest penny you’ve ever seen and voila it was good but not THAT good. I’d put the 2015 box of Fonseca delicias, a cigar with virtually no hype, that was lost and forgotten in a shops bottom shelf up there. Maybe I cherish those delicias because it was such a fun and memorable discovery.  How much does experience and life in general have to do with our most memorable smokes ??

• Like 2

@MaxwellM I too at one time wanted to try the NC Fuente Opus X, until my cigar shop owner told me the Opus X was a little overrated and that the Fuente Anejo was just as good at half the price. The Anejo is now one of my staples in my humidor.  Another under the radar CC is the Vegas Robaina Famosa that I tried and now is another staple in my humidor. Not as popular as some of the other CC brands.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cbenham73 said:

@MaxwellM I too at one time wanted to try the NC Fuente Opus X, until my cigar shop owner told me the Opus X was a little overrated and that the Fuente Anejo was just as good at half the price. The Anejo is now one of my staples in my humidor.  Another under the radar CC is the Vegas Robaina Famosa that I tried and now is another staple in my humidor. Not as popular as some of the CC brands.

I’ll totally try a famosa out thanks!

2 hours ago, cbenham73 said:

Another under the radar CC is the Vegas Robaina Famosa that I tried and now is another staple in my humidor. Not as popular as some of the other CC brands.

They've been very good of late, haven't they?! My eldest ones are 3 years old as of this month and I reckon they're a 91 with still a couple of years or so left before they peak.

• Like 1

I'm smoking my first one at the moment, that I bought from my local retailer; this is a VERY good cigar, with a blend lying between Cohiba and Upmann… I forgot to check the box code so I don't know how old it is, but I'm really enjoying it (with a glass of rum). It's not strong but the smoke offers a great viscosity and "longueur en bouche" (=finish).

Recommended!

• Like 3