NEW Kenfessions: Quai d’Orsay Imperiale/Lighthouse Gin; Monteith’s Apple Cider

Quai d’Orsay Imperiale/Lighthouse Gin; Monteith’s Apple Cider

By Ken Gargett.

A Quai d’Orsay type of weekend, not originally intended but very much enjoyed, and a nod to our New Zealand brethren, after the recent tragedy, but before we get to all that, may I just say, why, Habanos, why? And boo, hiss. 

I would like to say that I had never tried this cigar before, but after the debacle with the QdO Corona, who knows. I certainly do not recall it. Rob kindly left one with me for Kenfessions and to have a squizz at it. 

So, after up at sparrow’s, a solid day working, I settled down to enjoy this cigar with a couple of New Zealand drinks and some top books in the afternoon. Rob has also given me a book on Churchill in Cuba, but I did not get to it. The brilliant ‘Champagne’ by Peter Liem, to open proceedings and then to an absolute cracker, ‘The Force’ by Don Winslow. With the sound of the ocean in the background. Have enjoyed a few of Winslow’s, but this might be a whole new level. Hard as nails cop drama in NYC. Suffice to say it is unlikely to ever be made into a Disney movie of the week. 

Continue to the full article here.

If you like that hard hitting police drama stuff see if you can find the first book in the Burke Series (Flood) by Andrew Vachss. Really gritty but full of wonderful writing. Tons of great music references, bits of gadgets to help the protagonist on his way but realistic; the type you'd jimmy together in your shed with a blowtorch and scrap metal.