Okay, I’m going to ask the question on everone’s mind ...

Mongrels are half-breed canines.  Like a coy-dog (coyote/dog mix) or a dingo/dog mix (thought I don't know what the Australian vernacular for those are).  

The latter brings up something I've long wondered, what does the average Australian on  the street think- did the dingo eat the baby ?

• Haha 2

In Soviet cosmonautics used only mongrels-stray dogs, because the mongrels were marked by good health, intelligence and wit, unpretentiousness in food, loyal attitude to humans.

That's why I wouldn't be so dismissive of mongrels. For the residents of hard-to-reach areas mongrel is a good helper of man. For poor people-a dog that does not require costs. It does not need vaccinations and veterinary medicine and special food. For me mongrel-a symbol of simple, reliable and hardy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cmbarton said:

What the heck is mongrel?

Mongrel is a term of endearment. 

Often overlooked. Can be slightly uncouth. Manners are not a strong point. 

reliable, loyal, rascal. 

1 hour ago, MD Puffer said:

Mongrels are half-breed canines.  Like a coy-dog (coyote/dog mix) or a dingo/dog mix (thought I don't know what the Australian vernacular for those are).  

The latter brings up something I've long wondered, what does the average Australian on  the street think- did the dingo eat the baby ?

The Australia Cattle Dog (aka Blue Heeler or Red Heeler, depending on colouring) is the result of interbreeding Smithfield Herding dogs with dingoes. The Australian Kelpie is also thought to be partly descended from dingoes.

19 hours ago, HDGSN said:

In my opinion, can be either bursts of unbalanced strength and edge for body or exaggerated Cuban twang of barn floor or musty dank earth, sometimes both together.

This perfectly fits my use of the term mongrel.

• Like 1