Cuba sees steep decline in US travelers

6 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

I can only echo the comments above. The change between November 2016 and November 2017 was very noticeable. Cabs were cheaper, no waits at some of the best restaurants, I stayed at the Hotel Nacional for less than $250 USD a night (still too much). My Casa Owner, cab drivers, bar tenders all agreed that the number of Americans had declined heavily. The guesses were anywhere from 40% to 70% fewer. 

The regulations really haven't changed at all. The presentation of the "sonic attacks" here in the states plus the perceived change in policy has probably driven most of it. However, for some reason, most people in the US believe that Cuba is a Very dangerous country to travel too. I think its more ignorance/blind perception rather than any organized reporting/propaganda, but the feeling is certainly widespread in the general population. The reports of mysteriously injured diplomats have done nothing to help change this unfortunately. 

Selfishly, it made for a better trip this last time around. Lower prices, less wait times, better cigar selection. All positives for me, but viewed holistically, its not all so rosie. As others have stated, people have sunk a lot of money into Casa Particulares and private restaurants. Lets hope they dont get caught holding the bag if this droop continues. 

Ignorance/blind perception?  Hardly!  NYgarman nailed it, too many other family-friendly options in the Caribbean.  I'm the only one out of a family of four that'd relish all that Cuba has to offer.  Now that prices are more realistic, perhaps a guys-trip could be in order...

I was just there last week and spoke to a bunch of different people.  One lady I met was shocked to hear I was from the US.  She said she was there a couple years ago when the streets were flooded with Americans, this time, I was the only American she met.  But then again, just in the Casa I stayed in alone, I met 2 different groups of Americans. 

Regarding the Mexico comment above... I happily went direct from the US this time under legal reasons.  Nothing has changed with Trump in office, just need to use a different reason. 

13 minutes ago, Sudzdaddy said:

Ignorance/blind perception?  Hardly!  NYgarman nailed it, too many other family-friendly options in the Caribbean.  I'm the only one out of a family of four that'd relish all that Cuba has to offer.  Now that prices are more realistic, perhaps a guys-trip could be in order...

You Misunderstood me. The Ignorance/Blind perception was in regards to the safety aspect, not necessarily other aspects of Cuban travel. Although I dont think the general population is all that versed in what Cuba has to offer. Multiple different organizations have rated Cuba as one of, if not The safest country in the world for tourists. 

I completely agree that Cuba is not a family friendly destination. There isn't a whole lot for kids to do and water/food hygiene can be an issue. I don't see that changing anytime soon. Maybe a good candidate for a day stop on a cruise, but bringing a family of 4-5 anywhere outside of Havana would be work.  

14 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Maybe a good candidate for a day stop on a cruise, but bringing a family of 4-5 anywhere outside of Havana would be work.  

I think the exact opposite.  I almost brought my kids on my recent trip to Havana but realized Havana is not a place for young kids.  But, I can't wait to bring the entire family to see other parts of Cuba. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MooseAMuffin said:

I would be interested in reading up on this as well!

Here is the Treasury Department language on the Support for the Cuban People general license - when booking airfare on a US airline, the airline's website will ask you to verify which license you will be using.  Record keeping is the important aspect - keep those receipts and your itinerary! Remember, it is a Treasury Department concern not DHS or Customs.

§515.574   Support for the Cuban People.

(a) General license. The travel-related transactions set forth in §515.560(c) and other transactions that are intended to provide support for the Cuban people are authorized, provided that:

(1) The activities are of:

(i) Recognized human rights organizations;

(ii) Independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; or

(iii) Individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; and

(2) Each traveler engages in a full-time schedule of activities that:

(i) Enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote the Cuban people's independence from Cuban authorities; and

(ii) Result in meaningful interaction with individuals in Cuba.

(3) The traveler's schedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule.

Note 1 to paragraph (a): Each person relying on the general authorization in this paragraph must retain specific records related to the authorized travel transactions. See §§501.601 and 501.602 of this chapter for applicable recordkeeping and reporting requirements.

Note 2 to paragraph (a): Staying in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eating at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shopping at privately-owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) are examples of activities that qualify for this general license. However, in order to meet the requirement for a full-time schedule, a traveler must engage in additional authorized Support for the Cuban People activities.

(b) An entire group does not qualify for the general license in paragraph (a) of this section merely because some members of the group qualify individually.

(c) Certain direct financial transactions restricted. Nothing in paragraph (a)(1)(iii) of this section authorizes a direct financial transaction prohibited by §515.209, with the exception of transactions on behalf of a non-governmental organization.

(d) Specific licenses. Specific licenses may be issued on a case-by-case basis authorizing the travel-related transactions set forth in §515.560(c) and such other transactions as are related to support for the Cuban people that do not qualify for the general license under paragraph (a) of this section.

Example 1 to §515.574: An individual plans to travel to Cuba, stay in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eat at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shop at privately-owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) during his or her four-day trip. While at the casa particular, the individual will have breakfast each morning with the Cuban host and engage with the Cuban host to learn about Cuban culture. In addition, the traveler will complete his or her full-time schedule by supporting Cuban entrepreneurs launching their privately-owned businesses. The traveler's activities promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. Because the individual's qualifying activities are not limited to staying in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eating at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shopping at privately owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) and the traveler maintains a full-time schedule that enhances contact with the Cuban people, supports civil society in Cuba, and promotes the Cuban people's independence from Cuban authorities, and that results in meaningful interaction between the traveler and Cuban individuals, the individual's travel qualifies for the general license.
Example 2 to §515.574: A group of friends plans to travel and maintain a full-time schedule throughout their trip by volunteering with a recognized non-governmental organization to build a school for underserved Cuban children with the local community. In their free time, the travelers plan to rent bicycles to explore the streets of Havana and visit an art museum. The travelers' trip would qualify for the general license because the volunteer activities promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba and constitute a full-time schedule that enhances contact with the Cuban people and supports civil society in Cuba, and results in meaningful interaction between the travelers and individuals in Cuba.
Example 3 to §515.574: An individual plans to travel to Cuba, rent a bicycle to explore the neighborhoods and beaches, and engage in brief exchanges with local beach vendors. The individual intends to stay at a hotel that does not appear on the Cuba Restricted List (see §515.209). The traveler's trip does not qualify for this general license because none of these activities promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba.

[80 FR 2299, Jan. 16, 2015, as amended at 82 FR 52003, Nov. 9, 2017]

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=9e3b16fb4a0e98494c1e0384ef4f064d&mc=true&n=sp31.3.515.e&r=SUBPART&ty=HTML#se31.3.515_1574

• Like 1

US Customs and Immigration has lately been boarding flights in Miami/Ft Lauderdale before takeoff to Cuba to check paperwork. It is random though. They are also checking to see how much $$$ people have on them. I have been to just about every island in the Caribbean and there are many islands where the meals and services are superior and provide value for what you are spending. NFL, NBA fuggedaboudit you wont see it unless its a replay a week later. Transportation is a hassle, if you want to rent a car its probably the most expensive in the world. Then the 13% you lose on top of that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyO said:

US Customs and Immigration has lately been boarding flights in Miami/Ft Lauderdale before takeoff to Cuba to check paperwork. It is random though. They are also checking to see how much $$$ people have on them. I have been to just about every island in the Caribbean and there are many islands where the meals and services are superior and provide value for what you are spending. NFL, NBA fuggedaboudit you wont see it unless its a replay a week later. Transportation is a hassle, if you want to rent a car its probably the most expensive in the world. Then the 13% you lose on top of that. 

Thx J-O! I don’t think I’d ever rent a car in Cuba. The British couple ever get out of jail that had the accident there? Ouch!

14 hours ago, AlohaStyle said:

I think the exact opposite.  I almost brought my kids on my recent trip to Havana but realized Havana is not a place for young kids.  But, I can't wait to bring the entire family to see other parts of Cuba. 

I hope your kids are more patient than I. I traveled from Havana, out to Santiago de Cuba, then all the way back to eastern side of Pinar del Rio (San Luis y Martinez) last year. I spent more time sitting and waiting in airports, train stations, and bus stations than I did actually traveling. My 1 hour 45 min flight from Havana to Holguin was 5 hours late, my bus from Bayamo to Santigao de Cuba was delayed over an hour as they scraped a freshly killed cow off the "Highway" then the 2 hour flight from Santiago de Cuba back to Havana was delayed 7 and a half hours. Yes, you read that correctly, SEVEN and HALF HOURS for a 2 hour flight. The same thing happened about 10 days earlier to everyone who went out there as part of the Partagas festival rum event. The trains are no more reliable than any of the above options. Nothing, at all, is ever on time, anywhere in Cuba. "Mannana" "Tomorrow" That's the creed of the Cuban, be prepared to start a trip today and not get to your destination until Mannana. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are right @Corylax18 the delays are just so terrible that Cubana de Aviacion, the Cuban airline, announced last week it will scrap ALL internal flights. No aircraft available ...

https://www.cubanet.org/noticias/cubana-aviacion-suspende-vuelos-nacionales-no-aviones/

I truly admire you for travelling to Santiago de Cuba by bus and air ... I would not do it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nino said:

You are right @Corylax18 the delays are just so terrible that Cubana de Aviacion, the Cuban airline, announced last week it will scrap ALL internal flights. No aircraft available ...

https://www.cubanet.org/noticias/cubana-aviacion-suspende-vuelos-nacionales-no-aviones/

I truly admire you for travelling to Santiago de Cuba by bus and air ... I would not do it.

Wow.  If/when I go with my family, I doubt Santiago would be in my plan since it is so far away and my time would be a bit limited although I would like to keep it open if there are decent travel options.  I'd like to go to Trinidad and travel around there, Pinar del Rio, Vinales and maybe the beaches around there.  As well as Cayo and Varadero to let the kids have some beach time.  I'd probably stick to shorter bus routes and/or get a driver to go where I'd want to go.  But you're right, longer travel wouldn't be worth the hassle if that's the case.

2 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

Thursday will mark a historic day as someone not named Castro will take the wheel. Let's hope for positive change for our family, friends, and loved ones... 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cubans-prepare-turn-page-castro-era-014527496.html

It'd be really cool to be there on the 19th and have a Cigar! Article said it'd be low-key though. Hopefully the govt will put the people first in all this. Sounds like Diaz-Canel will still have his hands somewhat tied while Castro is continuing to act as the ideological figurehead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

Thursday will mark a historic day as someone not named Castro will take the wheel. Let's hope for positive change for our family, friends, and loved ones... 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cubans-prepare-turn-page-castro-era-014527496.html

They actually announced yesterday, out of the blue, that they are moving the start of the legislative session up one day to tomorrow. The 18th. "Because of the importance of the matters at hand" 

Lets not blow this out of proportion too much. Raul will still be the boss. He will still be the commander in Chief of the Military and Head of the communist party.  Diaz-Canel will essentially be the speaker of the house, in a single party system. Raul will still have Final say on just about everything. We may start to see more changes happen, but the real change is going to be in 2021 when Raul Steps down completely.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 1:02 PM, nino said:

I'm glad I did it, Once. Especially now that it won't be possible for the foreseeable future. Havana and Santiago de Cuba are a LONG way apart travelling by train/bus or even car. The bus ride from Bayamo to Santiago de Cuba was actually beautiful, the views go for miles as you wind your way down out of the Sierra Meastra into Santiago de Cuba. It was definately worth it. 

I will post some photos from last year when I get back from my upcoming trip. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

It'd be really cool to be there on the 19th and have a Cigar! Article said it'd be low-key though. Hopefully the govt will put the people first in all this. Sounds like Diaz-Canel will still have his hands somewhat tied while Castro is continuing to act as the ideological figurehead.

It really would be........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

They actually announced yesterday, out of the blue, that they are moving the start of the legislative session up one day to tomorrow. The 18th. "Because of the importance of the matters at hand" 

Lets not blow this out of proportion too much. Raul will still be the boss. He will still be the commander in Chief of the Military and Head of the communist party.  Diaz-Canel will essentially be the speaker of the house, in a single party system. Raul will still have Final say on just about everything. We may start to see more changes happen, but the real change is going to be in 2021 when Raul Steps down completely.

Exactly @Corylax18 - Diaz-Canel will be a figure head while Raul controls the strings.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2018 at 12:13 AM, Corylax18 said:

I hope your kids are more patient than I. I traveled from Havana, out to Santiago de Cuba, then all the way back to eastern side of Pinar del Rio (San Luis y Martinez) last year. I spent more time sitting and waiting in airports, train stations, and bus stations than I did actually traveling. My 1 hour 45 min flight from Havana to Holguin was 5 hours late, my bus from Bayamo to Santigao de Cuba was delayed over an hour as they scraped a freshly killed cow off the "Highway" then the 2 hour flight from Santiago de Cuba back to Havana was delayed 7 and a half hours. Yes, you read that correctly, SEVEN and HALF HOURS for a 2 hour flight. The same thing happened about 10 days earlier to everyone who went out there as part of the Partagas festival rum event. The trains are no more reliable than any of the above options. Nothing, at all, is ever on time, anywhere in Cuba. "Mannana" "Tomorrow" That's the creed of the Cuban, be prepared to start a trip today and not get to your destination until Mannana. 

That is pretty rare Cory.......

I mean...seeing a real cow in Cuba    ;)

• Haha 1

What paperwork are they checking? How are they making people show them how much money they have on them? I have a flight to Havana thru Ft Lauderdale coming up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk