Oahu, Hawaii

Hi All,

Did a little search of the forum but decided it best to start a topic in this Forum as it could help those vacationing there and allow some of the locals to put down their suggestions.

In my research, i get the impression that smoking is frowned upon in many places, even possibly your own private hotel balcony. surely the private hotel balcony is sacrosanct??

Tax's on cigars are high here so its best to bring your own is what i'm hearing, but saying that i'm still keen to browse and pick up some NC's

I'll be there in June so keen to get feedback from those that have gone before me and those that are lucky enough to call it home.

thanks in Advance.

Kam

Yes, smoking laws are pretty strict in paradise.

I could go into detail on my experiences (hotel charges for smoking on balconies, no smoking on public beaches, etc.) or you could check out these sites:

http://health.hawaii.gov/tobacco/home/laws/

http://smoking.uslegal.com/smoking-regulations-in-hawaii/

http://travel-hawaii.com/smoking.html

http://hawaiismokersalliance.net/

With all that I did always manage to find somewhere to enjoy a cigar when the mood struck - much easier than in QLD!

The two places i'm headed to in the next few months. Gold coast and Hawaii... great.

I just read though this and realized how draconian things had gotten. i was only there a few years ago and could well have been fined for smoking on my balcony... wow, what an eye opener. Last article was very helpful, so thanks again.

Hey Kam,

As you know I was in Hawaii in December 2014 for two weeks. It is correct that you can't smoke in most hotels on your balcony. I smoked in the designated area near the front entrance at my hotel, the Hilton Waikiki Beach.

On a positive note, I had a great time enjoying the Tobaccos of Hawaii Cigar Lounge located near Ala Moana Center. The guys that work here are true BOTL's, you'll enjoy their company as I did. They have a good range of NC's in their humidor too. One of them, Mark, told me a funny story about the anti-tobacco laws. Apparently, you can't smoke on the beaches as these belong to the state of Hawaii, but if you dipped your feet in the water, well that's okay because the water is under the jurisdiction of the federal government of the United States!

cheers,

John.

Thanks John,

I will definitely drop in and say hello to TOH. Last time i was in town, they were closed on the day.

Do you remember what cigars you picked up?

Do you remember what cigars you picked up?

Yeah...unfortunately, with the change in duty free tobacco laws in 2012, you can only bring in 100 grams of tobacco which equates to about 5 or 6 cigars. I got some Arturo Fuente Don Carlos No.2's, Liga Privada No.9's and some Fuente Fuente Opus X's. The Opus X's come in once a week to the shop and they go like hotcakes, I was there on the right day. If I had more allocation I would have liked to pick up some Padron 1964 Anniversary or 1926 series cigars.

I also smoked in their cigar lounge from their humidor during my stay.

• 11 months later...

I will be travelling to Honolulu and Kaunakakai (Molokai) twice over the next couple months for work. Its disappointing, but not surprising to hear that the smoking laws are so restrictive. It doesn't get much better than lounging on the beach with a cold drink and a nice cigar.

I am already in the states, so bringing sticks down with me wont be an issue. Other than Tobaccos of Hawaii, which I will definitely be visiting, and "in the ocean" does anybody have recommendations for smoking spots?

• 2 weeks later...

While in Kauai I purchased some of the local cigars. The Kauai Cigar Company. They are a bit rough and come in dark or light wrappers. I had a few in humidor for a couple of years and they weren't the worse cigars I have smoked. But I wouldn't be reaching for one any time soon.

I visited the Big Island last month. I was not surprised: I could not smoke on the balcony of my room. The only place the hotel allowed smoking: 2 benches in front of an outdoor pond and one bench on the beach.

• 2 months later...

Ok, First trip is booked. I will be in Honolulu and Mililani on the 7th and 8th of June. I am going to give the balcony a try (maybe later at night) I have a "Mountain View" rather than "Ocean View" so hopefully fewer people will be outside enjoying it. :) 

JohnS, I am actually staying at the Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel as well. Did you ever attempt to smoke on you Balcony? 

1. Were they really that strict about the Balcony smoking? 

2. How can they tell/prove it?

I will be sure to Visit Tobaccos of Hawaii and give you guys an update on the current status!

Yes, if I can recall correctly, they were that strict on smoking only in a designated area. I think Hawaii has more regulated public smoking laws than other states...weren't they one of the first to bring in them in?

I didn't try to smoke on the balcony, but I suppose in could try, I don't know how strongly the hotel would police it. As a tourist, I had a great time meeting people downstairs for a smoke anyway. 

Yes, the Tobaccos of Hawaii staff are awesome. I have fond memories of my visit. I still think about watching Sunday NFL and enjoying a cigar in their lounge from time to time.

Hawaii is defiantly on the forefront in the states for taking away smoking rights. Cigarettes are taxed over $3 dollars a pack, before sales and excise taxes. They end up costing $8 to $10 bucks a pack. Not quite OZ levels, but it certainly prices people out.

I may try to sneak a Principe or Monte 4 on the balcony, but I don't mind mingling either. Thanks for the tips!

Maybe ask for a room on the top floor?  You get someone above you leaving their balcony door open and it's game over! :(

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The last time I went to Oahu early 2015, and prior to that in 2013 & 2014, I just smoked cigars on the balcony anyways and had no issues.  The hotels I stayed at were the Modern, the Trump, and another that I can't remember at the moment.  It wasn't like the person above, below, or even to either side would be able to tell where the smoke was coming from anyways as its fairly windy enough to dissipate the smoke rather well.  Also, I went to a beach and asked the lifeguards and park employees where I could smoke.  They didn't seem to care as long as it wasn't bothering anyone else, so I guess I lucked out.  Lastly, smoking while walking along the streets/shops, was never an issue.

I personally think that as long as you're not obnoxious about it, stay courteous, keep in mind that others may not enjoy the smell of cigar smoke like we do, and just know when is the right or wrong time, anyone should be fine.   If all else fails, enjoy your cigar, eat the $50 fine, and chalk it up to $25/hr for the 2 hours not spent inside of a mall.  =)

I'm headed there again in a couple of weeks so I'll report back if it all comes crashing down.

• 2 years later...

Just curious if anyone has been to Oahu lately and provide some tips on where in Honolulu or anywhere on the island, for that matter, would be a great place to order a drink or coffee, light up a Cuban, and relax.  Even better if there's a view involved!  Thanks.

• 8 months later...