So how Long will This last: How would you define the US Global Political and Economic Position Today and Moving into the Next Half Century?

I am not big in to politics as it drives my head crazy. I try to be fortunate for what I have and what I am provided from my government even though I do disagree at times.

I have lived in the US for awhile now and have a 360 In terms of where our country is headed. Sure it will always be around to lend a hand or to profit off of a global neighbors land but internally it has started to crack at the core. People are becoming more greedy, and the divide between the upper class and lower class has increased. From my perspective (which is limited and by no means professional analysis) the US will incur more rioting and injustice in the next decade and see the loss of the true hardworking American way if continued on the current path. I also believe that the US needs to focus more on the inside than the outside of its problems. Take a quick trip to Detroit, MI outskirts where once thriving ethnic communities of immigrants built on hard work and pride for the American dream are now turned to Baghdad-esque war zones where police don't cross, trash isn't collected, buildings are entirely hollowed out, drugs are everywhere, and the aid is no where near to be found.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All empires fall. Has the US fallen? Of course not, but have the seeds been planted? Arguably yes: A literally unplayable debt that one day has to collapse Other issues seem minor compared to that

i've been co-opted by our very own house of cards dictator to say something that will get this thread closed down before 150 posts and save him his cigar. i will, however, refuse and stand firm with

I am not big in to politics as it drives my head crazy. I try to be fortunate for what I have and what I am provided from my government even though I do disagree at times.

I have lived in the US for awhile now and have a 360 In terms of where our country is headed. Sure it will always be around to lend a hand or to profit off of a global neighbors land but internally it has started to crack at the core. People are becoming more greedy, and the divide between the upper class and lower class has increased. From my perspective (which is limited and by no means professional analysis) the US will incur more rioting and injustice in the next decade and see the loss of the true hardworking American way if continued on the current path. I also believe that the US needs to focus more on the inside than the outside of its problems. Take a quick trip to Detroit, MI outskirts where once thriving ethnic communities of immigrants built on hard work and pride for the American dream are now turned to Baghdad-esque war zones where police don't cross, trash isn't collected, buildings are entirely hollowed out, drugs are everywhere, and the aid is no where near to be found.

I am with you 100% we(the government) need to worry about ourselves a little but now instead of handing out billions in aid to other countries. Just my .02

In spite of poor decisions made by US leaders of both parties, the USA economy is showing small signs of growth. This growth, ever so small is proof of the overall strength that even if incompetent decisions are made (again – pointing the finger at both parties), the USA is able to do better than just treading water. Just looking at the global influence… like someone here pointed out in an earlier post about India’s growth because of USA investment… The USA will have a large impact on the world economy for many generations and the foreseeable future. Using new technology the USA is becoming a major energy producer and will find that its reliance on Middle Eastern oil will eventually become ZERO. In fact, many US allies will benefit from this new energy source. And, it should be noted that this technology is old. It has only become feasible/profitable because of the skyrocketing price of energy now justifies the return on the investment.

Similar discussions took place about the decline of the USA before Ronald Regan was elected. It did not take long to effect change then, and, it should not take long now. The USA will have a new leader soon. Regardless of party affiliation, this new President will have an opportunity to have an impact on both the USA and the world.

What is the quote about letting sleeping dogs lay….. ????

I have limited experience in international travel so for me to attempt to compare the US economic future to other countries would be quite presumptuous of me. My belief on the current state of the US economy and its future is simply that we need to spend more time, energy, and resources looking inward rather than outward. The US has long taken the stance of attempting to be the world watchdog/enforcer/peacemaker, or whatever word you would like to choose. Long has it been thought by many of our country's leaders that this was an onus/responsibility that we needed to take on.

While I do believe there are times where foreign countries/individuals need our support and aid, I think that at times we forget as a country to look inwards at the areas within our country that could use the same support. As others have mentioned, there are entire towns, suburbs, cities, which are in extremely distressed status because of the volatile economy. There are people in need of all types of resources and help and often they go overlooked or unnoticed. Resources need to be allocated internally before being spent externally.

A lot of my fellow Canadians are as equally ignorant about Asia. They are almost giddy at the prospect of China eclipsing our neighbor to the south, as if it is really in anyone's best interests to promote the rise of a corrupt, brutally oppressive autocratic regime. I don't even bother explaining to them that China's growth is still based almost entirely on labor arbitrage and that that is an economic model that is only sustainable in the short-to-medium term. If you are betting on the long-term success of China you have to show how that economic model will be capable of the rates of innovation required to sustain it.

Good point. And what happens to the world economy when China's bubble bursts?

Lived in the States (Midwest, South and Appalacians) 2004-2010 until the wife and I both were about to lose our jobs.

Most of my time spent living there I was a freight pilot who in the course of my employment was a cog in the industrial machine that is the US. Thus for many years I was tasked with flying everything from engine parts, paint, rear-view mirrors etc during the midnight hours from the not so scenic parts of Mexico to places far and wide in the US. When the economy tanked and demand suddenly decreased, factories laid people off, unemployed people couldn't afford houses and it all kind of snowballed. I'll never forget all the For Sale/foreclosure signs in my neighborhood alone nor the faces of furloughed 18 yr Major Airline pilots I saw walking resumes into the company I worked for.

The US has had a bad run and created a large rut for itself through over expenditure on the military and poking its head into everyone's business. I do believe though that prosperity (or a new version of it) is around the corner. I'd like to see the US become more isolationist in foreign policy and focus more attention at home. The manufacturing that remains is quite leaner and meaner than a decade ago, and I've read many companies have felt the ill-effects of out-sourcing (Boeing for example) and are bringing production back in-house.

The US created the PC, the Inter-state and manned flight. Futures going to be bright.

The energy revolution in the USA will continue to have profound influence on the world economy and will only continue to strengthen the influence of the USA. If we build and maintain infrastructure rather than have a few oligarchs control the new wealth we will be the dominate power for the foreseeable future.

I hope this thread survives until it reaches Rob's 150. Judging by the tone building, odds are probably in Rob's favor of winning his own cigar :)

I come from a large family, mostly hard right thinking Christians, We've mostly agreed not to discuss religion or politics at family gatherings anymore as our opinions get the best of us often as we age. Unfortunately even God loving Christians still battle hate and greed. But even as I hear about all the worries of our Country losing it's values with "liberal" changes like legalizing marijuana and *** marriage, I still see so many positives. It's hard for most of us to even imagine the stress many in other parts of the world wake up to everyday. We live with so many freedoms that we take for granted everyday. I know there are hungry people in the USA but so many of us are spoiled really. Kids growing up thinking they deserve a new car when they get their drivers license which is early in high school here. Couples feeling a five bedroom, three bath home with three car garage is a "need" simply because they just had their second child.

As for politics, other than the thought that we probably shouldn't discuss it here as it will likely only alienate us, I think the United States is still strong and will remain strong! Our often divided government forces slow change which often is a good thing. Our slow recovery from the 2008 recession hopefully will help control future damaging bubble growth. We have had many oil booms and busts where I live, many believe this one isn't going to bust. Optimism is still strong at least in our part of the United States.

• Like 2

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_governments_by_development_aid

Absolute numbers US is #1.

Per Capita #19

Excellent. Because dollars drive aid. Not percentage you give. Either way, if we cut 90% of that and turn it inward it would be a huge win for us as a country. Not percentage wise because that isn't a huge amount of our budget, but 30 billion dollars can go a long ways. Put that into our education department so we can start building the kids that are going to own this country sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Well if the embargo ends... And the world economy still sucks... I will still prefer to have my US dollars transfered by some crazy American company called visa to some wild Australian call ElPrez via my Iphone so I at least know I can get a good well inspected cigar.

But reading all these posts have been great. Time for a monte 4 with breakfast

There has been a lot of good points so far and this is an interesting topic. I am not an economist nor have a PHD in statistics and have not looked at any numbers so I will go off of life experience, which I am also limited as I am just over 40.

Definitely personally believe it is overstated. A good piece of the puzzle is going to be what China does over the next 25 years as a booming economy in Brazil or India will not put those two countries ahead of the US. China is a tough nut to crack. Going to Quote Jonathan Adelmanz"Yet, the United States is the world leader and likely to remain there for decades. It has the greatest soft power in the world by far. The United States still receives far more immigrants each year (1 million) than any other country in the world. The United States leads the world in high technology (Silicon Valley), finance and business (Wall Street), the movies (Hollywood) and higher education (17 of the top 20 universities in the world in Shanghai’s Jaotong University survey). The United States has a First World trade profile (massive exports of consumer and technology goods and imports of natural resources).

It is still the world’s leader for FDI at 180 billion dollars, almost twice its nearest competitor. The United States, spending 560 billion dollars a year, has the most powerful military in the world. Its GDP (16 trillion dollars) is more than twice the size of China’s GDP. As the first new nation, it has the world’s longest functioning democracy in a world filled with semi-democratic or non-democratic countries. Its stock market, at an all time high, still reflects American leadership of the global economy.

The US has done nothing to help itself on the World stage over the last 20 years. Iraq and Afghanistan are the two biggest black eyes but there are not many countries that have a clean slate. I believe terrorism is going to play a huge part on the World stage in the next 25 years and really going to cloud the future. That being said a vast major of countries would love to see the US fail. Whether its jealousy, hatred, the American ego, or whatever the case it does not surprise me to see the US economy bashed around the globe an talking about its emanate demise. Meanwhile it was a global recession it was not just the US that hit a depression. China's growth came to a screeching halt also. No doubt the US is far more leveraged then any other large GDP county and digging its way of from a mountain of debt will definitely play a large part in where the US stand 25 years down the road.

Another huge play in the next 25 years will be alternate energy sources. The country that is able to develop a clean energy and get away from oil based energies will have a huge impact. Technology is building a better, smaller, longer lasting electronic car battery will be paramount as will becoming more self sufficient on producing more natural gas and viable fuel sources in house.

No doubt the US political and economic influence has taken a hit over the last decade but we are a very resilient county. A bigger China, Brazil and India will only help the US down the road. I do not see our military strength diminishing over the next few decades nor our technological advancements. Our economy should rebound as shall the world economy. The middle class has no doubt been shrinking over the last few decades and is something that will have to be addressed but the since the Second Great Depression that started around 08 most countries have struggled and lost net worth.

The two biggest problems I see in the US is first off the government. All the two parties do is fight each other and create a stalemate in legislation. I wish the Rep/Dem system would be tossed in the toilet as it is holding the county back from being truly great. Way to much in fighting and each supporting their owe agendas. Somehow either they need to work it out or to get the heck out of the way. The second biggest concern is the insane budget deficit. This number has to be taken down to a more manageable number.

So I believe that the death of the US Influence is much over stated.

• Like 1

I realize that the author (Tom Friedman) may not be everybody's favourite, but he wrote a book called "That Used to be Us" that addresses this subject. It is an interesting read. The basic premise of the book is that the US doesn't need to be like China to succeed in the 21st century, it needs to be more like the US used to be. The chapter on the educational system is great.

our Country losing it's values with "liberal" changes like legalizing marijuana and *** marriage, I still see so many positives.

Is it really that bad with *** marriage?

I bet a lot of people thought the country was losing its values when mixed marriages was allowed or slavery outlawed.

There, can of worms opened. ;-)

• Like 3

What is the foreign aid in total dollars rank? Not percentage of giving. I would look but not sure where you got the data.

I seen a study on this and the US sends $4,000,000,000 in good will to other country's the closest to us is France with just over $2,000,000 not even close

My thoughts is i am proud to me an American and my kids will feel the same

It would only take on act for America to become the world power it once was

I seen a study on this and the US sends $4,000,000,000 in good will to other country's the closest to us is France with just over $2,000,000 not even close

My thoughts is i am proud to me an American and my kids will feel the same

It would only take on act for America to become the world power it once was

Not even close. :-)

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Economy/Economic-aid/Donor

Sadly the wealth, media and corporations are controlled by a few, those people continue to prosper in the worst of times, meanwhile they sit back and laugh while the middle class and poor bicker over left and right. The politicians are all the same. Their best interest is in lining their pockets. Our education system is in shambles and we are expected to compete with the world. While we waste billions on wars that are for profit both overseas and at home (war on drugs, lack of immigration system fix, etc) we have generations that will continue to be impacted. So long as we quibble over left and right our middle class and poor will continue to be left behind, meanwhile the elitist wealthy laugh all the way to the bank. Good economy or weak, they prosper. While the poor and middle class struggle to survive.

Glad to see this thread is readable, civil and interesting! You guys are terrific.

The education system is not as bad as we seem to think it is, otherwise university graduates would not have so much trouble with their large numbers finding jobs... A bit of society humor there. So many parents are involved with schools and making sure their kids don't fall behind, don't eat peanuts, get bullied, don't walk 3 blocks alone or eat gluten. Books are taken out of the curriculum and if your 5-year old tries to hold a girl's hand, God forbid, he will get kicked out of school for sexual harassment.

When my kid was in grade 3, they had to pick the class parent by lottery. I think my mom went to school maybe once in 5 years and I seemed to survive?

Yes I am in the white middle class, house with garage, dog and car billionaire category of families. But there are lots of different families in our area too.

Don't forget the number of people who are living off the other 50% of the working labor force. I wonder what the real number is that we pay in taxes after our average 34% of each dollar we net comes off. (Federal Withholdings, Social Security etc) all the other taxes we pay after that.

As Drunkenmonkey said, this country may not implode over pot and *** marriage but it could with the political and social climate. Illegal immigrants cheating our system, neither party wanting to actually do anything about it and keep the freeloaders like this happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_iW9DzG-g0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GVP7dmcHBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyCp1fb2wck

This country is filling up with people who want what others have without working for it. It's not just the so called greed at the top % of the wealth chain. Middle class is getting fleeced and fed up with having sand pounded up their ass.