Negronis

Rogers72

I'm having an Italian themed dinner party. This is the kind of stuff that happens when wives have too much time on their hands. Anyway, I was charged with the drink menu, of course. I do a bit of internet research and get a few Italian drinks lined up. Peroni for the beer drinkers, Bellinis for fruity/sparkling drinkers, and Negronis for those wanting a cocktail. I had never had a Negroni. I have often heard of them and I consider my palate fairly easy to please so I was sure it would work. I can hardly think of a cocktail I don't like. So, I go out and get the Campari, Gin, and Sweet Vermouth. I decided to make one for myself before i serve it to the masses tomorrow night...

Disgusting. How does anyone drink that? I'm sure many would say the same about my Islay whisky. Campari is the most revolting liquid ever created.

Any ideas for Italian cocktails that don't involve Campari?

Thanks for the input Colt. I think I am just going to have to go "wine heavy" on the menu. I guess when you've got the wine at your disposal that the Italians have, there's no need for good liquor.

While nowhere near my favorite drink, a good negroni has its place. If given the choice I think I would choose a good red over a negroni every time though.

What about Aperol Sprizz?? bitter / fresh

3 parts Prosecco or wine

2 parts Aperol

1 parts Soda or a bit fresh orange juice

crushed ice and a slice of orange

or the german answer of it

Hugo (Elderberry Sprizz) sweet / fresh

3 parts Prosecco or wine

2 parts elderberry sirup or even better elderberry liqueur, if you can find. Just find out how sweet you like it - 2 parts is for me to sweet

1 part soda

crushed ice, lemons and mint

both are very nice in summer

BIG Negroni fan here! Absolutely love it as an aperitif, but it's quite bitter so it may not be everyone's cup of tea. Never tried to pair it with a cigar, but have a feeling it wouldn't be a great match. Serve in a rocker glass with a half slice of orange. Happy days! 2thumbs.gif

As mentioned by Perla, Aperol Spritz could be an alternative. It also has a slight Campari-ish taste to it but much much milder and with the added Prosecco it's a much lighter drink. Have served it a lot, it's a great apero drink on a warm day, and everyone always seems to like it.

As mentioned by Perla, Aperol Spritz could be an alternative. It also has a slight Campari-ish taste to it but much much milder and with the added Prosecco it's a much lighter drink. Have served it a lot, it's a great apero drink on a warm day, and everyone always seems to like it.

And you can smoke easily a cigar with the Aperol or Hugo.

I greatly like Negronis, but don't find drinks heavy on the bitters go well with cigars.

If you want something Italian, this is great. It can be made up in a pitcher in advance, is delicious and goes well with cigars IMO.

L'Aperitivo di Victor

1 part chilled Campari

1/2 part vodka (from freezer)

1/2 part chilled aromatic sweet white wine, like a Moscato Naturale from Piedmont, a Californian late harvest Riesling, a German Beerenauslese or Trockenbeerenauslese, a Saternes or an Ice Wine. Whatever comes to hand that's sweet, white and good, really.

Fresh mint

1 part orange juice, fresh squeezed. Blood oranges are recommended, and look good.

Slice of lemon for each glass

Mix together Campari, vodka, wine and slightly bruised mint in a pitcher and refrigerate (covered) for 30 minutes or so.

Add orange juice and serve, adding lemon slices.

Removing the mint at this point and adding ice are optional.

Argghh.. I see you stipulated no Campari. Are you buying the particularly bitter kind? The one with extra bitters added that says "Bitter" across the lable? Don't buy that kind. Or go with Prosecco.

SeeGar,

Thanks for the info. I checked the bottle and it does day "Bitter" across the label. This is perhaps the greatest understatement of our time. Its very lightly printed on the label and I didn't know to look but I believe it was the only kind available where I shop. I'll be back in today and will double check. Regardless, I don't think the less bitter kind would please my palate so I'll just stay away from it from now on.