What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Brugal 1888 in the glass at the Carnegie Club in Manhattan. With a friend drinking some Ron Zacapa, the go to rum.

• 3 weeks later...

Glenrothes 1969 40 Year Old, bottled at cask strength of 45.8% alc by Duncan Taylor for their Octave and Quarter Cask Series.

8a3ave7e.jpg

Freshly poured: not much going on the nose as for the palate.

No doubt the wood influence is significant but this is readily balanced by the big sherry profile and underlying coconut notes that suggests some American oak maturation.

Sweetness, fruity, vanillin oakiness and creamy with an oily, glycerine-like mouthfeel, then progressing to coconut and spice flavours, blue cheese notes and phenol like. Finally, becoming dryish, varnishy, meaty and savoury-salty.

Harmonious integration with a lingering warmth when swallowed as the aftertaste expands to fill every part of your mouth.

Ultra smooth and complex with a finish that lasts and lasts, still as vibrant 15 mins on.

The bouquet blossoms with time spent in the glass.

yzu9e6ev.jpg

A humbling privilege to be able to taste something that is older than yourself and apparently limited to 72 bottles in the world (apparently).

Attended a wine auction and tasting tonight... wines included a 2009 Quintessa (highlight for me), 2010 Faust, Duckhorn Cab, Grgich Cab, Mollydooker Carnival of Love, Blackbird Arise, Estrella Eclipse and Petit Syrah, and about 5 others.

Then I sat back and watched the carnage of the live auction!

Chalfonte VSOP - a really good cognac for the price point. Enjoying it with a 2009 Edmundo

IMG 1213[1]

* really need to figure out how to show larger images.......

A bottle of one of the best German Riesling’s, brought by Hans, practically from his neighbourhood as he lives around the corner from Eberbach monastery.

The Steinberger Riesling Spätlese from Kloster Eberbach is considered a rarity and highly sought after, being the largest wall-enclosed vineyard in Germany :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steinberg,_Kloster_Eberbach

Cigar was a Litto Gomez Pelo de Oro Doble Corona that had a fantastic aroma and taste while being unusually strong for a Dominican.

The last third became more powerful and slightly bitter, but a fine looking, well constructed and very good cigar.

post-4742-0-20122500-1372781381_thumb.jp

post-4742-0-37467700-1372781396_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Pisco Sours, one of our favorite souvenirs of South America...