What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Time for my 2020 batch of eggnog. I knew that empty bottle would come in handy. The Grolsch bottle is last years batch. My tradition is to compare the previous year with the current. Last year's was better and I know why. I used Bartons and this year I used Old Forester. Bartons may be cheaper but for this recipe it's perfect. Oh well, there's always next year!!!

20201124_185236.jpg.0cd3798a80f4915987fd01c52cbdb690.jpg
16062624218444632221905648520821.jpg.bb3fb3044a98ff6f0966ee990fe66805.jpg
Did you freeze last year's batch?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stogiepuffer said:

Did you freeze last year's batch?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

No, my eggnog is easily 40% alcohol. I also re-pasteurized the eggs to make sure I kill any bacteria. I've been at this for like 5 years now and so far no issues. ?

• Like 2

Garrison Brothers Balmorhea Bourbon today. Stuff looks like weak coffee in the glass, and thats after 2 melted ice cubes. Matches the solid mahogany humidor in background under construction which is now drying from its 3rd coat of Mohawk Rock Hard urethane/tung oil. Or is it the 4th? Must be the Balmorhea...

On 5/22/2016 at 5:19 AM, sengjc said:

Attended a Kavalan whisky tasting today at the local whisky bar:

a188fe2d2df22c649a0c35dd3f16da0a.jpg

Impressive turnout:

0e7eaa7d304a1958bf670d3c8f771ad8.jpg

Equally impressive lineup:

ab4fdf967ede5eae190e7cdbcea54fcf.jpg

1. King Car

2. Ex-Bourbon Oak

3. Solist Port, a new release.

4. Solist Amontillado, 2015 World Whisky Award Finalist

5. Solist Sherry, a crowd favourite

6. Solist Vinho, 2013 World Whisky of the Year.

92c91b159cbdb6a3b27aef945e2a4e30.jpg

Kellie Du the global brand ambassador walked us through the tasting.

Love the KaVaLan.  Used to drag a bottle or two home every time I changed planes in Taipei.  Back before it was available in the U.S.  The Sherry barrel aged one is still my wife's favorite too.

I remember reading somewhere that it was the high aging temperatures in their rack house that was the serendipitous secret to their success.  We traditionally think of aging liquors at lower temps, but really that's just something adopted from the wine industry where it's a necessity to keep the wine from re-fermenting (at least that's how I interpreted it in my amateur experience).  No such problem exists with Whiskey.  Kavalan, supposedly, had natural rack house temperatures in the 80's-90's (F) in the summers and that gives the whiskey and aged profile earlier.

Anyway, good stuff!  Kudos to our brethren in Taiwan.

3 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

a bunch of mates who do a wine lunch every 5 or 6 weeks had the christmas event yesterday. i think there were fourteen of us so most of the bottles were magnums (or two of the same wine). not quite all and apols for any i missed. my notes were getting, shall we say, less cogent by the end of the day. 

stars were the leeuwin, especially the giaconda, the bin 60A, cullens and the brokenwood. 

the glenview was an old fortofied bottled in the fifties and still looking pretty good. 

sadly, the old 71, a famous wine, was corked. so much for recorking to avoid problems!! a good mate, charlie melton, who worked at lehmanns (although he did not start till a bit after that wine) was with us and had some of his own magnums - some of which appear not to have been photographed (shocker). 

That’s interesting about that Leeuwin. Do you know anything about that estate, is the purveyor of Dutch ancestry perhaps? ‘Leeuwin’ is the Dutch word for lioness. At first it made me think that the Jasper Hill Riesling was the Leeuwin because of it’s label art ?

58 minutes ago, Tdm_86 said:

That’s interesting about that Leeuwin. Do you know anything about that estate, is the purveyor of Dutch ancestry perhaps? ‘Leeuwin’ is the Dutch word for lioness. At first it made me think that the Jasper Hill Riesling was the Leeuwin because of it’s label art ?

leeuwin is a margaret river winery, making some of teh best chardonnay in australia. stunning wines. they have an art series, which features paintings by local artists. there is a cape leeuwin over that way. the dutch (and french) certainly had explorers there in the very early days - pre cook for some. i believe the dutch gave it that name but not sure if it was after a person or what??