What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Chinchalero Fuerte Maduro Novillo paired with some Auchentoshan 10 Year Old.

tumu9ema.jpg

The Auchie is interesting, rather rum-like and austere compared to the current bottlings.

The stick is like the namesake, quite 'fuerte'. Spice, toasty leather and earth a-plenty. A stout little stick for this wintry and windy Melbourne night.

An Estrella Damm Inedit. Ferran Adria's collabo with the Spanish powerhouse. It's a Belgian style white beer with a noticeable coriander infusion. Definitely my favourite beer. Harder and harder to come by here in Oz. But there is an online source available. Highly recommend pairing it with most cigars as it is a very aromatic drop!

So while in New York this week I spent an evening at Hudson Bar & Books, Tueday night to be exact which happens to be Whisky night there. Any and all high-end scotches regardless of price are available for $30USD a dram (some of these ranging from $45-60 each generally) - they pour a largish dram by the way.

At any rate I had the pleasure of sampling a Timintoul 31 year old, the Glenmorangie Signet and then the Bruichladdich Black Arts 21. All whilst enjoying an RA Superiores.

The Timintoul was soft and smooth - a nice light golden with a touch of butterscotch and light finish. The Signet was a deeper bronze, more forward and definitely one of the better expressions I've have from this distillery even with the broad range they offer.

The Bruichladdich was quite nice though without as much of the peat and iodine I generally get from them, especially the Octomore which I sampled last time I was there.....

IMG 1320[1]

All in all a very enjoyable evening with some excellent scotches in the proper progression.

Poor iPhone image but hopefully the presentation is apparent....

@nino: You are sipping on some nice Riesling!

I am having a drink called Usuki Old Fashioned:

2 oz tanqueray ten gin

1/6 oz rich simple sirup

4 dashes dandalion & burdock bitters

lemon zest

post-17060-0-64252900-1374352356_thumb.j

Alongside a slightly older siglo III

post-17060-0-40518400-1374352535_thumb.j

An Estrella Damm Inedit. Ferran Adria's collabo with the Spanish powerhouse. It's a Belgian style white beer with a noticeable coriander infusion. Definitely my favourite beer. Harder and harder to come by here in Oz. But there is an online source available. Highly recommend pairing it with most cigars as it is a very aromatic drop!

Agreed. Great beer. Our local had an allotment two summers ago and we did our fair share of depleting the inventory. lol3.gif Enjoy it while you can!

• 2 weeks later...

Some great bottles there! What was the pick of the evening?

Everyone had their favourites, mine was the 2001 RWT.

The 1992 Hill of Grace was very elegant, more so than the 1982 Grange which was surprisingly not past the peak yet. The 1989 707 was very good for the vintage. The 1992 Bannockburn was past its prime and the 1996 St George was good but not in the same league. Not everyone liked the cooler climate styles of the 1998 Quintet and the 2000 Graveyard.

My afternoon treat,a Schwarzwälder Kirschwasser(Cherry Brandy from the Black Forest/Ger.)chased by a Krombacher Pils together with a Cohiba Behike 52.post-9772-0-60169500-1375569025_thumb.jp