Laying the cigars down that you'll want in 5-10 years

I work as a wine merchant and have for 12+ years...before any of the moderators jump on this I am not after or promoting anything...but I often find with customers that they get into wine and buy like mad but end up later on (5-15years or so) with a cellar full of wines they are no longer so mad about...they can sell some and re-buy but it becomes a fiddle...so cutting to the chase I am keen not to do the same thing with cigars...I have smoked them on and off for 10years (increasingly of late) and am now looking to lay down some boxes. I love to have a variety of vitolas but probably see the Epicure No1 as the ideal size.

Any suggestions on what I should look to buy? and it is a negative question (sadly) but what should I avoid laying donw?

My favourite marques are

Hoyo de Monterry

Partagas

Trinidad

Sancho Panza

also like - Upman, Ramon Allones and Cohiba

Any suggestions much appreciated...

Cheers

Hi Pilgrim,

I am in a little bit of a hurry today but as far as Sancho Panza is concerned and since this vitola is going to be discontinued as of next year you can put a bit of money on the Molinos (a Lonsdale size). They are very good after 2-3 years and go on to be excellent for several years after that.

As far as HDM is concerned a safe bet is the Hoyo des Dieux (a Gran Corona size) in cabinet of 50, they normally age magnificently.

Finally, I am sure that other members will other terrific suggestions to make to you.

All the best,

Michel

HdM Regalos. My goal is not to touch them for another 5-7 years.

I've had a couple from my box and these are turing into something amazing, but yes they still have at least another 3 years I'd image to smooth out. Hopefully I can wait :innocent:

Sorry -- I'd respond with something smart and useful to say, but strayvector's avatar is making it impossible to think...

-

-

-

-

-

-

Ok, better now. I would lay down Sir Winston, Coro and anything Upmann. Those just seem like they would age wonderfully.

x2 on Strayvector's avatar :D

Personally I would just buy aged cigars,unless you're talking about 10+ years they are pretty easy to find. Life's too short to spend the best part of a decade looking forward to something which in the end may not be great (Expectation is the biggest killer of things in life for me)or you may not even be around to enjoy or your life may have changed and you don;t have the circumstances in which you can smoke/enjoy them like you do now.

Buy now and smoke now, regardless of if the cigars are new or old for me :)

No one has really answered the key issue here. Your tastes will most likely change over time with wine as well as cigars. This is quite normal. Consequently, the best you can do is buy high quality cigars at the best price possible which you believe will age well and that meet your current taste profile. Whether you will want to smoke them in 10 years is anybody's guess. The good news is high quality aged cigars appreciate in value and you will likely be able to sell the ones you don't want quite easily. The way things are going they might even be discontinued and will command a premium price on the market.

Personally, I'd start with the marcas you like in your favorite vitolas. As mentioned earlier tastes will change in time, and as you explore and find more marcas you like, add to your inventory/collection (over time) those newly found marcas. That is how I approach my wine and my cigars...for the most part. I do deviate from time to time, but who doesn't...even Piggy smoke an occasional LE or 50+rg cigar.

Starting with the marcas you like, my preference would be:

Hoyo de Monterrey - Double Corona and Le Hoyo Des Dieux

Partagas - 898Vs, Lusitanias and Shorts

Trinidad - Robusto T, Reyes and Fundadores

Sancho Panza - Molinos (recently discontinued) and Sanchos (discontinued, but can still be found)

Good luck...

No one has really answered the key issue here. Your tastes will most likely change over time with wine as well as cigars. This is quite normal. Consequently, the best you can do is buy high quality cigars at the best price possible which you believe will age well and that meet your current taste profile. Whether you will want to smoke them in 10 years is anybody's guess. The good news is high quality aged cigars appreciate in value and you will likely be able to sell the ones you don't want quite easily. The way things are going they might even be discontinued and will command a premium price on the market.

How true. SLR used to be my favorite brand & now, except for some DCs, I've traded them all off. Tastes do change.

Cheers all for the replies, very kind.

Captain Quintero - thats a very glass half empty view of life? I know expectation can be a bad thing but owning things and looking forward to them can be half the fun!

Anyway it's crap cigar weather in the UK - constant drizzle and cool/cold....

You like the EPI#1? That's a Corona Gorda. Great size, my favorite. For aging I'd start with Bolivar Corona Extra. Or just about anything Bolivar. You probably can't go wrong with the H U Mag 46, or just about anything HU. Especially the #2 and Sir Winston. Moving on to Partagas, 898 Varnish and SD#4 are a good start. I have found that Cohiba benefits from age in a big way but they are more expensive. A few boxes can't hurt. Siglo IV, III, lanceros and Robustos can be stunning after five or six years. Hoyo Des Dieux and PLPCs are some of my favorite cigars.

Oh yea, The EPI #1 is a great cigar that might not need too much time to shine. You could smoke them while you wait for the others to come around.

Cheers all for the replies, very kind.

Captain Quintero - thats a very glass half empty view of life? I know expectation can be a bad thing but owning things and looking forward to them can be half the fun!

Anyway it's crap cigar weather in the UK - constant drizzle and cool/cold....

It's a half full view of life! Why sit about for ten years when you can go buy a ten year old box and get the most out of life right now by enjoying them today.

I don't see much point in starving yourself of something you really want and are prepared to wait a decade for when you can go out and enjoy them right now.

IMO life is for enjoying right now, the time you spend waiting for something is time wasted which you could have used for enjoying yourself. :thumbsup:

It's a half full view of life! Why sit about for ten years when you can go buy a ten year old box and get the most out of life right now by enjoying them today.

I don't see much point in starving yourself of something you really want and are prepared to wait a decade for when you can go out and enjoy them right now.

IMO life is for enjoying right now, the time you spend waiting for something is time wasted which you could have used for enjoying yourself. :thumbsup:

I think I was being the grumpy one when I replied...have a good weekend

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that both Upmann and Cohiba aren't on your short list because you haven't had much experience with well aged varieties. Also, if the RA 898 is any indication of how well that marca ages, go long on them. Also, get 50 cabs when available you will see the cigars evolution more clearly AND you wont have to wait 10 years to sample them.

My preferences for long-term aging:

1. Des Dieux

2. Cohiba Lanceros

3. Mag 46

4. Sir Winston

5. Siglo IV

6. RASS

Do yourself a favor and select cigars in cabinets to lay down.

The vitola/marca is up to your personal preferance. I like to lay down Lucis, SLRDC, P898, HUSW, Cohiba Lanceros, and Monte Especials.