Cigar Addiction

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Like a few people have said; there's that fine line between chemical/physical addiction and mental addiction. A friend of mine actually summed it up quite nicely for me a while ago (he was a 1 or more a day cigar smoker):

"Do I think I'm addicted to cigars? No, no more than I am addicted to chocolate icecream. When I finish my dinner I like to have a bowl, but I'm not going to rob a gas station to get it"

I enjoy the ritual of sitting down for a cigar. I get a lot of enjoyment from meeting up with friends to smoke a cigar. But I could give it away in a day.

Exactly. I know I'm more addicted to chocolate ice cream. Haha. :2thumbs:

I don't think I'm addicted. I can go a couple of weeks without easily. If someone bet me a few hundred bucks to not smoke for a month I would take the challenge, then again I would likely spend the money on a box haha!

...but then again it would basically take a gun to the head to stop me from smoking full stop.

Interesting re the chemical aspect versus the culture side of things. I think the collecting and reviewing and the ritual is a big part of it, a huge part, but it comes down to enjoying the flavours in the end. The relaxation of the nicotine etc (chemical aspects) comes a fair way down my priority list.

I'm definately addicted to everything about cigars EXCEPT smoking them. I love shopping around for them, I get excited about buying them and anticipate the arrival more than I ever anticipated Christmas as a kid. I love looking through and smelling my humidor. I love reading about them and looking at pictures of them. I spend a good couple of hours a day on forums and websites pertaining to them.

I have Cigar Monster running at all times when I am on my computer.

I do love smoking them of course and once Friday arrives I will have 2 or 3 a day but come Monday I don't touch 'em.

They have assisted in my quitting of the addiction of cigarette smoking. I smoked them for 30 years and now that cigars are in my life, cigarettes just seemed so stupid. So small and flavorless...and what flavor existed was just really awful. Cigars made quitting easy and logical! They are my REAL friends now... :thumbsup:

Like others here...I wouldn't say that I was addicted to cigars, I would say that I am addicted to the cigar experience. What I mean by that is the feeling of relaxation I get, the camraderie with friends that share the same passion, the buying/collecting of cigars as well as the research in learning more about this hobby that we all share.

Nope but sometimes I chain smoke 4 or 5 cigars in a night and there are periods where I don't smoke for a couple of weeks.

Some of my friends can't seem to go more than a few hours without needed a cigar fix.

Addiction, particularly physical addiction has some very specific hallmarks that I have never experienced nor have I seen. The notion of physical addiction to cigars is preposterous for 99% of smokers IMHO.

I smoke 2-3 cigars a day. I dont inhale but the nicotine addiction is there and about the level of a 4-6 cigarettes a day smoker. If I dont get one after about 8 hours I can really feel it. I keep nicotine gum on hand when I cant smoke.

Like many others who've posted, I'm addicted to the "chase". Reading about them, dreaming about them, looking at pictures and reviews, obsessing over my wish list. And even though I have so many cigars in my humidors that are magnificent, it's always the ones I DON'T have that I anticipate most.

I couldn't possibly care less about amassing a collection of cigars for the thrill of the chase, hunt or what have you. I don't have a purchasing high or anything, I buy cigars to smoke them. When I first started smoking people would gift me cigars I'd hang onto for awhile. There is no point in putting them on a pedestal, their whole purpose is to be smoked and that's what I do. I found these cigars I kept for so long ended up being disappointing at times and I wondered why I didn't just smoke them earlier. The longer you wait the higher hopes you have and the difficulty to smoke them increases because of that sentimentality (is that even a word?) which in turn builds up the hype even more. Smoke them, enjoy them, buy more. My friend once said your next cigar may be the best one you smoke.

I've been addicted to cigarettes, and I know the feeling of a real, honest to god nicotine craving well. If I smoke cigars a lot, the first couple of days when I don't, I notice the physical symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. However, what makes quiting cigarettes a ***** is as much the ritual as anything else. The small, quick-smoking bastards weave their way in to every aspect of your life - morning smoke, after-dinner smoke, after sex, a break here, on the car ride there, and so on. That is what is so hard to break; the physical dependency on nicotine actually diminishes quite quickly. What takes a long time is breaking the associations to other behaviors you enjoyed with a cigarette.

I smoke one cigar a day, at night, usually a couple of hour before bed. It's part of my evening wind-down ritual. I sit on my porch, listen to tunes, have a drink, and smoke a cigar. Because that is the context, when I do initially go from a heavy smoking period to none, it really doesn't bother me much as there is only specifically a couple of hours in a day that I associate with smoking. Perhaps I have a headache for a day or two, but cigars just aren't a part of my day like cigarettes were. As such, my thoughts don't run to, "I need a cigar!" In fact they usually go to, "My, I have obviously been indulging a little too much lately. Perhaps a couple of days/week of respite isn't a bad idea."

So yeah, physically I have a mild addiction to the nicotine, but it was never the addiction to the nicotine that made cigarettes a problem, at least by itself. It was the ritual. Cigars fill such a specific niche in my day that if I can't have one at that time for whatever reason, it is no big deal.

Like many others who've posted, I'm addicted to the "chase". Reading about them, dreaming about them, looking at pictures and reviews, obsessing over my wish list. And even though I have so many cigars in my humidors that are magnificent, it's always the ones I DON'T have that I anticipate most.

*DITTO, DonPedro! :D

I live a middle-class suburban/rural life. Each cigar is like a vacation to me. I can sit on my porch with a fine hand-rolled cigar, a nice drink, and great friends and I would just as soon be here as aboard a yacht in St. Tropez. I'm addicted to that!

I would say i am not addicted to cigar. I do not smoke because i have to, but because i want to. They may be similar but still worlds apart in difference. If one day you rely on it just to get through, that would be the time you can consider it an addiction. Though, you would not really know if you are addicted to it because most, if not all, will be in denial.

• 1 month later...

As a former cigarette smoker of 14 years who FINALLY kicked the habit some 9 years ago, I can tell you cigars ( cuban's at least since I don't smoke others) do not cause physical addiction for me.

I've taken breaks from smoking cuban's for a month easy, after smoking 2 or 3 sticks a day for a few months. Didn't even phase me.

I do love the cuban smell, taste, but for any of you that have every had a true 'nic fit' from cigarette withdrawal, know what I'm talking about. This is not the same thing by a long shot.

my 2 cents

Cheers all

Passion is probably a better word than addiction.

I am also guilty of loving the hunt/buying cigars. I have stockpiled enough where I don't have to buy as much as I used to however, I do love buying cigars.

Every cigar is a different journey. Whether it is after a long day and I need to think things through or the enjoyment of sharing time with my friends or just watching my daughter and son play together in the front yard as I enjoy a cigar on the porch.

What I cherish the most is the ability to take time out to reflect, share and at times, make new friends. That, to me, is what it is all about.

When my son was born, I bought 10 boxes of 2010 ELs. Some to smoke on his birthday and some to give to him when and if he decides to take up this hobby. I look forward to the day I can share a cigar with either my daughter or son. It will be a special moment.

I still remember which cigar I fired up when I got married. I remember the first cigar I smoked to celebrate a milestone in my career. Great memories that I will cherish.

As I am not physically addicted to smoking, I am, however, physically addicted to this forum, live in humidor, and buying cigars. The online humidor service and credit cards don't help either. It keeps everything well hidden and I don't know that I have gone too far until it's too late.

At least I will have some good aged cigars to smoke a little later - try to think positive.

As I am not physically addicted to smoking, I am, however, physically addicted to this forum, live in humidor, and buying cigars. The online humidor service and credit cards don't help either. It keeps everything well hidden and I don't know that I have gone too far until it's too late.

At least I will have some good aged cigars to smoke a little later - try to think positive.

+1

I will skip two meals a day at this stage just to stock up on my favorites

• 2 weeks later...

Is it addiction if I spend more time thinking about cigars and preparing for the next time I get to smoke one than actually smoking one?

I might get to have one a month to one a week unless I'm really lucky. In any case, most Cuban cigars are exquisite and I love the experience. Hard to be addiced at that pace.