Bigpond / Telstra (Australia’s largest Telcom)

I think Bigpond / Telstra (Australia's largest Telcom) has got me mixed up with Ken.

Bigpond / Telstra was (not too long ago) a Government organisation.....but it was privatised because the private sector can apparently do things better!

Several months ago I decided to upgrade my Bigpond modem to a combined modem / router so I could connect a second desktop computer to my cable service.

I went online and ordered the modem/ router plus a USB adapter for my second computer so it would connect wirelessly to the new router. A router without an adapter does not work.

Within the week the router turned up with......no USB adapter. Okay, maybe it's coming out separately. Another week....no USB adapter.

Rang Bigpond.....got someone clearly in his first week (possible first day) with Bigpond, as he was talked through every instruction (I could actually hear the conversation) by a supervisor or trainer. Spent time looking for the original order and claimed I never ordered an adapter. This is despite the fact (as I pointed out to them) that a router was no use without an adapter of some sort). After some 35 minutes finally got the USB adapter ordered.

Within days, the package arrives...they sent a PC card adapter, not a USB. OK the amateur assistant, despite all his best efforts, probably got the order wrong.

Rang Bigpond for the second time, and after 25 minutes, it was finally decided that it was correctly ordered by them, but the Logistics Centre sent out the wrong item. A check of the Logistics Centre reportedly revealed that PC cards had been put into the USB bin and some packer just selected from the bin.

Okay, so a USB adapter would be sent out together with a reply paid bag for me to send the PC card back, and I would receive this in the next two days. This seemed reasonable (any one can make a mistake) so I thanked them.

True to their word the delivery turned up.......a second PC card and no reply paid bag.

Rang Bigpond for the third time, wasted another 30 plus minutes on the phone while the "assistant" insisted that he need to check all the previous orders were correctly ordered. He too decided that the order was correct and sent out a new order pointing out to the Logistic Centre that they had already sent the wrong part twice.

Now, here I digress from the main story. The very next day a different size parcel arrives (good you think....no, this one was larger, USBs are smaller than PC cards. Opens it up and here is the reply paid bag together with a typed letter correctly addressed to me "expressing their regret" that I was cancelling my Bigpond cable service and advising me to return my modem, cables, power packs, etc within the next 14 days to avoid being charged for the equipment. Another call....apologies, miscommunication who knows? At this point Bigpond admits they really do not know what's going on. Still waiting for my connection to go dead! Anyway back to the story.

Several days later a third bloody PC card arrives. Back onto Bigpond for the forth time (not counting the disconnection). Go through the same bloody rigmarole, check orders, confirm the correct part is ordered, off goes my "service adviser" goes to see the supervisor, who rings the Logistic Centre and speaks to a manager who says he will personally ensure that the correct part go out. Finally I think I'm good.

Now I must digress again. Yesterday my Bigpond bill arrives. I have been charged for all three PC cards (my god they are quick at Accounts. Perhaps I should have been ringing them up). Yet to ring about this one! So back to the main story.

Today, just after poker, a ******* fourth pc card arrives. No longer even funny in a strange way.

I ring Bigpond for the FIFTH time about this and some poor bloody sod (James at the Gold Coast) cops the lot. James, to give him his credit, takes it all in good nature (although I suspect that I may be getting another cable disconnection notice soon) and endeavours to do his best. At least this time I get a month's internet free (if not disconnected beforehand) and copious notes are made. USB adapter is now ordered "another way" (?) but I will need to ring back later to get all the charges adjusted.

I point out to James that I have little faith in a Logistic Centre that sends out the wrong part four times, will have the ability to actually credit my (or any) account. James does not even try to comment on that one. I will just have to ring back. Thanks James. Thanks Bigpond.

Now, what's the betting.......am I going to get a fifth PC card, or disconnected, or both?

To be continued.......................

Now, what's the betting.......am I going to get a fifth PC card, or disconnected, or both?

Based on your story, I would expect that a man in a ski mask will soon appear at your door, and promptly put you out of your misery. Then they can close out the complaint, and enter "problem resolved" in your account file.

Based on your story, I would expect that a man in a ski mask will soon appear at your door, and promptly put you out of your misery. Then they can close out the complaint, and enter "problem resolved" in your account file.

... And charge his wife for a call out fee and the cost of the execution...

absolutely standard operating procedure for these morons. they honestly think that they can continue like this and people will just put up with it. they are the worst company on the planet. bar none.

I thought the stumbling wombat held that distinction Ken? :(

they are the worst company on the planet. bar none.

Please Ken don't be so quick to claim they are the worst, what about your beloved Flying Wombat surely they must be up there?

Please Ken don't be so quick to claim they are the worst, what about your beloved Flying Wombat surely they must be up there?

no no. if you look at many past posts, not to mention endless rants, i have always maintained that as bad as the stumbling wombat is (and to be fair, they can occasionally do some good things and i have acknowledged this), they are nowhere near two tins. they are a truly appalling entity and incompetent beyond belief. sol should have been jailed for life. i have spoken with 100's of their employees and 99.99% could tie up their own shoes.

who will ever forget -

"is there anyone with any intelligence there that i can speak with?"

'no sir, we are the tech deparement". never a truer word...

absolutely standard operating procedure for these morons. they honestly think that they can continue like this and people will just put up with it. they are the worst company on the planet. bar none.

They are indeed terrible and unfortunately, I work at their headquarters here in Lonsdale Street, Melbourne. (I'm not a Telstra employee)

There is not a day that goes by where I hear someone at the front reception counter threatening to go postal.

Being part of the building management/owners team, Telstra as a tenant are terrible! :2thumbs:

Telstras customer service is the worst, their service calls and complaints centres are offshore and it seems that everyone here thinks they are a manager of some sort. Every manager and middle manager here have EA's and PA's and even these people think and act as managers and have not a single friendly bone in their body.

So, if Telstras own employees don't get along with each other in this 52 storey facility, how do you think they care for their customers? They don't. :clap:

So far so good.....

Finally a USB adaptor turned up.

Now all I have to do is arrange to get credits on the four incorrectly sent PC cards.....plus a discount on the USB adaptor, as this was sent as a "special order".

Fantastic! I had to pay extra to get the correct thing sent.

Being part of the building management/owners team, Telstra as a tenant are terrible! :D

mate of mine has his office in a building owned by telstra. i believe he is the only other occupant than telstra. he has been unable to get them to connect phones and told it could take 6 months. whether true or not, how does someone involved with them not realise how embarassingly abysmal they are and try and do something?

mate of mine has his office in a building owned by telstra. i believe he is the only other occupant than telstra. he has been unable to get them to connect phones and told it could take 6 months. whether true or not, how does someone involved with them not realise how embarassingly abysmal they are and try and do something?

Funny you say that Ken.

The entire building here is tenanted by Telstra except the ground lobby which has various other smaller tenants one of which whom just moved in 6 months ago. They required Teltsra Foxtel connection as well as Bigpond. It took Teltra 14 weeks to get this small business connected!! :blink::o

The CEO David Thodey then makes a statement next to the VIC Premier last Friday during the Grand opening of the newly refurbished lobby saying "I think we need to focus on our customer service"..... Do ya think!? :2thumbs: