“Por Larrañaga Petit Corona”

These Petit Coronas are hyped as the best small cigar from Cuba. For years I have been trying to see the "fame" in these Por Larrañaga. After smoking the equivalent of a box of these "under the radar" cigars, I have yet to taste what the hype is all about.

There is grass on the draw, toast on the tongue, oak in the aftertaste and cedar in the scent. This is a light bodied cigar with hints of wet grass, pepper and burnt notes in moderations. Lovers and Aficionados of Por Larrañaga, don’t read on… Because this might be the worst Petit Corona I have ever tasted. I rate it 83 from a box dated 05/2007.

IMG_0422.jpg

Not indicative of any of the PLPC's I've enjoyed.The one characteristic everyone seems to find in the PLPC is caramel.If you didn't find any caramel in these I would question their authenticity.As a matter of fact your tasting notes seem to be WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off base.You also mention the box?????These only come in cabs of 50.Could you post up some pics of the box(?)and its codes??

Ron

• Like 1

I also have a cab of '07 PLPC.

After having smoked four or five over the last year,

my conclusion is that these cigars are not nearly ready.

They are like a caterpillar still in its cocoon.

Bury them at the bottom of your boxes,

and try another in three or four years.

• Like 1

I've got a 08 cab in my online Locker. I won't dare touch it for at least 2 more years. Fantastic PC's, they remain the only cigar my fiancee will willingly smoke, because of the copious caramel sweetness. Sorry you havn't had much luck so far, Jaksen!

I didn't say they came from a box, I said the equivalent of a box. Once in a while, when I shop for single cigars I pick up a couple of Por Larrañaga Petit Corona from different shops. Maybe I have been unlucky, maybe the flavor profile is too light for me... One thing I do know, these are not my cup of tea!

I have had plenty of PLPC I have adored, plenty I have thought ordinary and plenty in between. Aging really benefits these cigars and that is 5 years put away. The sweetness has made a return of late (in young cabs). I thought it had disappeared for a few years there.

I have had plenty of PLPC I have adored, plenty I have thought ordinary and plenty in between. Aging really benefits these cigars and that is 5 years put away. The sweetness has made a return of late (in young cabs). I thought it had disappeared for a few years there.

if there's a candidate for the premium sampler list that would be great... love my pc's

• 2 weeks later...

I feel somewhat obligated to defend the PLPC, considering the fact that my username is PorLarry! I was just reviewing your post and I'm not quite sure if you're saying that you've smoked 20+ PLPC's from different boxes or from the MAY 07 box alone. If the latter, then the simple answer is that you have a crummy box of CC's which is sometimes not uncommon. Hell, I've had plenty of crummy boxes. Put them down and hope for the best when you try next year.

There is no simple answer regarding the former, however. If you've tried 20+ PLPC's from multiple boxes and haven't enjoyed one single cigar, then either you have very bad luck or you're just looking for a full bodied spicy cigar for every cigar you smoke which is the opposite of the PLPC.

The best way to describe this cigar is that it's a flavor bomb. Tons of it! With very little body until you're partially condensed at the last third. It's all about the flavors and nothing more. Caramel, toast, oak, vanilla, etc. It's just packed.

Now, I don't question tasting notes because everyone's palate is different and I completely respect everyone's opinion, but I do question the pepper component that you noted. I don't think I've ever tasted pepper in my PLPC's. Maybe one or two out of countless I've smoked but it's definitely a rarety. It's possible to get pepper but it's not characteristic of this cigar that really shines. The light-bodied, caramel, sweet, toast, oak, is right on though.

I emplore you Jaksen to give them another shot. You may only like the full-bodied cigars but now is the time to broaden your horizon and get to know other qualities some CC's have to offer. Don't me wrong, I don't just smoke light-bodied cigars. In fact, most of the CC's I smoke are full. I love em. I'm no stranger to spicy full bodied CC's. I recently got a box of Upmann Connie 1's that was so phenominally spicy and full bodied that I could not stop smoking them. They were ridiculously good. Moreover, one of my all-time favorite combinations is a Bol RC followed up by the PLPC.

Here's what I suggest, buy new PLPC's and try one on it's own with a clean palate. Don't fall prey to any pre-conceived notions of light-bodied cigars you may have. Then try the combination I referenced above...the Bol RC and then a PLPC. Leave yourself open to the possibility that a light bodied cigar can offer you as much satisfaction and enjoyment as the spicy full-bodied cigar can. Bottom line-don't give up on this cigar just yet. Keep trying them and I can guarantee you'll get a ton good ones!

I have to agree with Prez, 5 years and the PLPC is fantastic.

'04s are ready!

• 8 years later...
2 hours ago, Jal154 said:

I had a gentleman on FOH who sent me a few to try in September of this year. The box was from 2014 which he had not yet opened. They were great. I totally annoyed them. I considered them mild and the flavor was, I must say different. But Carmel, no. At least I didn’t pick up on any. 

have to ask. how on earth do you annoy a cigar?

• Like 1