Dinner of the Century

THE COHIBA TORPEDOES

There is no regular torpedo shape in the Cohiba line. It was made for the first time in 1994 for the "Dinner of the Century" in Paris, France and never repeated until now, for HABANOS NIGHT '96.

The present batch of 5 boxes of 25 cigars each was made following the exact specifications for the unique Cohiba melange. The mixing of the 3 different leaves for the filler, the binder and the wrapper which have three fermentations, instead of two. The torpedoes were created at the H. Upmann factory by "maestro" Jose Manuel Valdes, a class "A" roller from the cradle of the torpedo shape. Maestro Valdes (56) has been working for H. Upmann since 1957 and has been appointed as professor and trainer for the new generation of rollers still at school.

Another specific characteristic of these 125 cigars is that they have been made using only the right side of the leaves used for wrapping and from the same "manojo" (bunch of leaves formed to ferment together). It gives a distinctive and exact look to all the cigars, although it is impossible to reproduce identical pieces of art.

All this was done under the supervision of "maestro" Benito Molina, director of the H. Upmann factory, himself, one of Cuban best rollers.

To pack such unique xxxxx hand made Cuban cedar boxes were made by "maestro" Urbano Pena, skillful artisan, every one of them featuring distinct abstract combination of the natural colours of cedar.

post-2594-1268650878.jpg

post-2594-1268650893.jpg

post-2594-1268650917.jpg

post-2594-1268650960.jpg

post-2594-1268650974.jpg

wow, very nice pics thanks for sharing. How are they smoking?

For the 10 boxes (50s) of Cohiba Torpedoes (signed by Commander Castro) auctioned off during the 'Dinner of Century', my guess is that none of their owners have broken into their boxes because of its sheer significance & value! I know two of them and both boxes are certainly intact! That's too bad, none of them have ever smoked one.

The tasting experience of this '94 Cohiba Torpedo cannot compare to any cigars i have ever experienced, including the rare diplomatic Cohiba! In its beginning, there was notes of cedar tastes with a lot of woodiness. Taking my time to smoke, its ashes were pure snow white, such beauty! Starting in its first 1/3, an unique taste which is similar to dry plum evolved. A light undertone of pure tobacco tastes was also noted. Finally in its last 1/3, an extremely light undertone of the Cohiba's classic grassy tastes can be faintly detected. Craftmanship was unmistakenly first-class with no second lit necessary. Pure sublime experience...A Totally Unique Smoke!

Both torpedoes in the picture have different band ...One with the new Cohiba band and one with the old one...If these were from 1996 both should have the old band...Just an observation...

Good point mate.. I also see the construction around the foot doesn't look the best on a lot of them. Few more opinions on these would be interesting.

Both torpedoes in the picture have different band ...One with the new Cohiba band and one with the old one...If these were from 1996 both should have the old band...Just an observation...

I think the new Cohiba is shown for comparison only.

You got it ! Shapes of these Cohiba Torpedoes (right-side) are uniquely slender, noticed the same as in the MRN's book.

There is no Cohiba torpedo with the new band except for the Piramides LE 2006. Are you comparing the 1996 torpedoes with the LE cohiba cigar in the picture? I am a little confused... I have boxes of both the LE Cohiba 2001 piramide and 2006 piramide. They are both maduro wrapper...

There is no Cohiba torpedo with the new band except for the Piramides LE 2006. Are you comparing the 1996 torpedoes with the LE cohiba cigar in the picture? I am a little confused... I have boxes of both the LE Cohiba 2001 piramide and 2006 piramide. They are both maduro wrapper...

Ha...little known treasures do existed. In 2003, there was a release called 'Seleccion Piramides" and "Seleccion Robustos". Pictured cigar is from Seleccion Piramides Series. It has very interesting taste profile!

Ha...little known treasures do existed. In 2005, there was a release called 'Seleccion Piramides" and "Seleccion Robustos". Pictured cigar is from Seleccion Piramides Series. It has very interesting taste profile!

ok now it makes sense. Have never smoked one of those seleccion piramides. Have you smoked the cohiba 2001 piramids? It's one of the best cigars ever. Pure chocolate and cream.