Rinse Your Cigar Anyone?

I reviewed three RASCC simultaneously last night to see what affect rinsing your cigars has on Burn, Draw, Taste, Aroma. Who else does this, how often, and why? Here you see me rinsing with distilled water before I clipped the cap.

Disclaimer: No cigars were harmed while making these pictures.

post-2888-1256505414.jpg

post-2888-1256505421.jpg

post-2888-1256505482.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't believe all of you seasoned professionals are dousing this idea so quickly. Have you not three spare cigars to give a try. Where's the adventurous? Where's the scientists? Where's Wilkey w

This, in my humble opinion, is a total crock of crap. Perhaps the good doctor was PWI again. Remember, this is the same guy who says the blends are different between Partagas Shorts in dress boxes

A good friend always licks the wrapper of his cigar before he lights it. When I asked why he said just because he's always done it. An odd habit I suppose. Only person I know who does anything liquid to his cigar.

The alleged MRN dropped this little tid bit of info about rinsing young cigars a few years ago. I've done it in the past several times never really knowing if it was good or bad. The results were rewarding for the quicky rinse. You would think the cigar would just soak up any moisture it contacts, but it sheds it like an umbrella. I'm sold on the idea, but I would like to try it one more time with three more cigars from the same box to see if my results are consistent.

Despite living in NY with cold dry winters, I don't think that I would ever do this to one of my cigars. Better to risk a wrapper split in my opinon...

Thanks Semery.

I do know guys who use this technique and swear by it. Personally it is not something I have tried and being a minimalist I don't think I would have the patience to do it consistently. Still, if it protects wrappers from splitting in cold climates then it would be useful.

My question to the OP is why rinse your cigar into a wine glass? Your next tasting of a fine Bordeaux or Cabernet might take on something less than desirable.

I rinsed the one cigar several times to over saturate the wrapper and didn't want to waste a gallon of distilled water. The water was still delicious. Speaking of cigars tasting wine, I had a '99 Mouton Rothchild earlier this year. I swear I could detect cold cigar on the nose, just like sniffing a wheel of 50, just gorgeous.

You would think the cigar would just soak up any moisture it contacts, but it sheds it like an umbrella.

Still, if it protects wrappers from splitting in cold climates then it would be useful.

I rinsed the one cigar several times to over saturate the wrapper

I'm a bit confused - if the premise is to keep the wrapper from splitting, but the wrapper sheds the water, how could it help?

And if the wrapper is saturated, it's not really shedding water......

I'm a bit confused - if the premise is to keep the wrapper from splitting, but the wrapper sheds the water, how could it help?

I also dont' see how it would crack if the cigar is stored in good conditions.

I don't do it to keep the wrapper from splitting. I do it to make a young cigar taste more...?homogeneous?. The way MRN explained it was, the wrapper being a different age then the filler; a rinse will cause the rate of burn to be more in proportion with that of the filler.

The wrapper definitely will shed the water if you rinse it quickly and shake it off. This quick rinse state reminds me of a cigar fresh off the roller's table. I also rinsed one of them several times really saturating the wrapper.

I can't believe all of you seasoned professionals are dousing this idea so quickly. Have you not three spare cigars to give a try. Where's the adventurous? Where's the scientists? Where's Wilkey when you need him?

Ken: I googled that little phrase, give it back to the British :cigar:

• Like 1

I can't believe all of you seasoned professionals are dousing this idea so quickly. Have you not three spare cigars to give a try. Where's the adventurous? Where's the scientists? Where's Wilkey when you need him?

"Dousing" the idea :cigar:

This experiment has "Video review" written all over it. Will do it in the next few weeks.