Habanos tier system

First a question for the US based readers.

What is the best site to purchase quality Non Cubans from?

Recently purchased 4 boxes of RnJ, Padron, Olivia but was disappointed with the quality.

Secondly recently had good fortune I think to meet someone(European) distributor for Habanos. I think I trust what he says due to our existing business relationship(nothing to do with cigars).

Anyway he gave me a pretty lengthy explanation of how they distribute the cigars by ranking of quality. In short he said the top tier cigars primarily are reserved for the Castro crowd, then the next tier down goes to European distributors and further down still Asia Pacific (PCC).

As I live in Asia and sometimes buy from Cigar club which is supposedly the worse place I could buy from according to this person.

I must admit have heard numerous times from different sources that PCC does not get the premium stock which in a way does make sense and further more the whole teir system if true sounds logical.

So does anyone know of this to be true or maybe only partly true?

This post was NOT intended to start any flame war or to portray a negative reflection of the work the guys do here at Cigar Czar..Just am curious is all.

Thanks

Matt

Some people beleive the same thing here.

But I doublt it because Habanos doesn't have such ability.

You know they can not do even quality control and We face bad draw, inconsitency of flavor profile often.

In such a condition, How can Habanos do such a conspiracy?

I'm with Yossie on this.

I frequenly get boxes from the European and Spanish market and I don't think there's any difference between those and the boxes I buy locally.

A good relationhip with a vendor will have them select choice stock for you which does make a big difference.

I think your friend might be doing a little "marketing" on you.

» First a question for the US based readers.

»

» What is the best site to purchase quality Non Cubans from?

There is no such thing as a quality non Cuban cigar.

» Secondly recently had good fortune I think to meet someone(European) distributor for Habanos.

Who?

Second question first: I've smoked Habanos from many different markets, and have a very hard time believing what your acquaintance is telling you. Of far more inportance is having a customer service oriented seller. You need look no further than where you are right now to find that.

As to US vendors, the are a number of good ones out there, though I'm not sure who will or won't ship overseas. Further, I'm not sure whether it's kosher to mention them here or not, as they could be considered in indirect competition with our hosts. Perhaps Rob, Lisa, or one of the Moderators can clarify this.

Edited to add:

» There is no such thing as a quality non Cuban cigar.

I strongly disagree. While I smoke Habanos better than 9 times out of 10, there are some very respectable offerings from some of the Central American growers and rollers.

I know there was a time at least where it was claimed that Hunters & Frankau got the best cigars coming out of Cuba. They even labelled their boxes with the designation English Market Selection (EMS) and I believe charged a premium (or was it the damned U.K. taxes?). Perhaps they still do this today.

I can tell you I've bought Havanas from Mexico, Switzerland, Canada and from our gracious hosts. I can't say that I noticed a difference in quality.

» I know there was a time at least where it was claimed that Hunters &

» Frankau got the best cigars coming out of Cuba. They even labelled their

» boxes with the designation English Market Selection (EMS) and I believe

» charged a premium (or was it the damned U.K. taxes?). Perhaps they still

» do this today.

»

I am sure this fancy little H&F sticker doesn't mean squat in terms of quality. The cost was stupid with the VAT taxes and frankly the cigars I received were no different. Customer service and relationship with vendor is critical. Not to toot the Czars horn but I can say this with certainty. Had I not found this place I would not have the stock that I have now. I buy from nowhere else simply for the trust and service factor. PCC would ***** up a storm if they distributed inferior product and Rob would be first in line to attack.

Hi

From Miami

Not sure on the Cuban, But very sure on Padron, Olivia........these are very good...almost as good as Cuban's.....but a different type of smoke. A different type of good.....different profile in taste.

What release are you buying from Olivia is it the Serive V. I get all the 1st pick on these type of Cigars in Miami....also great prices....most of the companies base here.....

Also they have release of the same Cigar which are aged more..........

Also what are you looking for in a cigar....that might be the problem....I like strong smokes.......sweet.........spicy...

All the Cigars I have pick up from Czar have been great.........I mean great like I don't know what I would do with out Czar....Rob, and Lisa have been a big help for picking smokes....

I must say Lisa is on the money on all my questions........Also I have to put together a care package for Rob to get his input on some of the Cigars down here good, or bad....it still would be nice to hear his point of view, and compare notes.

If my posting looks strage just bare with me I have little baby Roman sitting with me....So it is a little harder to type.....

"Anyway he gave me a pretty lengthy explanation of how they distribute the cigars by ranking of quality. In short he said the top tier cigars primarily are reserved for the Castro crowd . . ."

Who exactly would "the Castro crowd" be? Diplomats? Chums like Chavez? If so, I can't imagine that this would account for more than 200 or so boxes of cigars (a figure I plucked out of thin air). It seems very unlikely that Habanos would implement a tier-based QC initiative for so few cigars.

No disrespect intended to your friend, but he may be talking out of school. I have had countless conversations with people about cigars who were very sincere in what they told me, and made their comments with no personal agenda being forwarded, but were flat-ass dead wrong.

Hi Matt.

I have heard that story so many times over the years. It has always been propogated by European distributors particularly the British and Swiss.

The truth is that there is no quality assessment prior to international market distribution.

I know it ruins a great story:lol:

Well thanks all for the comments.

As the purpose of this post was to ascertain the probability of this tier system being true. For which now seems unlikely or more of a myth spread over the years and some people seem to believe it very strongly.

Anyway thanks.

» Hi Matt.

»

» I have heard that story so many times over the years. It has always been

» propogated by European distributors particularly the British and Swiss.

»

» The truth is that there is no quality assessment prior to international

» market distribution.

»

» I know it ruins a great story:lol:

Not receiving elite stock, you would say that! :-P

Seriously, I have noticed no difference in quality of cigars coming from Hong Kong, The Middle East, Australia or Europe.

• 2 months later...