best cuban music

long before i ever got to cuba, i loved the music. my absolute favourite was the afro cuban all stars and their CD, 'a toda cuba le gusta' (and especially the version of 'amor verdadero'). saw them in havana which was a huge thrill.

just lately, got a three CD set called 'hecho en cuba' which is sensational (from amazon) and even better, got the all stars 'en vivo - live in japan' and over the moon. it may never be taken off the CD (have to buy another to listen to springsteen). got it through barnes and noble and have seen it nowhere else but it is worth chasing. it includes a dvd - i have one of those but have not quite got the tech ability to connect it.

so inspired by all this that i am buying drums (and as a warning to the musically sensitive among you, have been included in a band of wine writers - we are playing at the clare festival next may - feel free to stay away).

the only major disappointment i have had was when our esteemed el pres actually teamed up with 'manuel the shyster' in playa giron to convince me to pay $15 for a CD (manuel was a shyster and a dill but he could play the trumpet like an angel and his mates were also sensational) for manuel and his band. it was, of course, completely blank - like almost all the CDs you will buy on the streets - and i found out later that rob got five bucks commission (you can imagine just how much guilt i feel at being able to liberate those PSS2 hostages from his private stock).

anyone any other top recommendations (for cuban music, not rob's private humidors)?

» long before i ever got to cuba, i loved the music. my absolute favourite

» was the afro cuban all stars and their CD, 'a toda cuba le gusta' (and

» especially the version of 'amor verdadero'). saw them in havana which was

» a huge thrill.

» just lately, got a three CD set called 'hecho en cuba' which is

» sensational (from amazon) and even better, got the all stars 'en vivo -

» live in japan' and over the moon. it may never be taken off the CD (have

» to buy another to listen to springsteen). got it through barnes and noble

» and have seen it nowhere else but it is worth chasing. it includes a dvd -

» i have one of those but have not quite got the tech ability to connect it.

»

» so inspired by all this that i am buying drums (and as a warning to the

» musically sensitive among you, have been included in a band of wine

» writers - we are playing at the clare festival next may - feel free to

» stay away).

» the only major disappointment i have had was when our esteemed el pres

» actually teamed up with 'manuel the shyster' in playa giron to convince me

» to pay $15 for a CD (manuel was a shyster and a dill but he could play the

» trumpet like an angel and his mates were also sensational) for manuel and

» his band. it was, of course, completely blank - like almost all the CDs

» you will buy on the streets - and i found out later that rob got five

» bucks commission (you can imagine just how much guilt i feel at being able

» to liberate those PSS2 hostages from his private stock).

» anyone any other top recommendations (for cuban music, not rob's private

» humidors)?

Cuban music comes in all forms. My wife is Cuban and when she lived in Cuba she worked for one of the music agencies. I got a good collection of music from her when I used to go visit her. Here is a list of my favorite groups and singers with the style of musica. There is a website www.timba.com where you can pick hard to find Cuban music.

Orquestra Aragon: Son

Compay Segundo: Son

Eliades Ochoa: Son

Celina Gonzalez: Guajiro

Los Van Van: Timba Salsa

Issac Delgado: Salsa

Bamboleo: Salsa

Maraca: Latin Jazz Salsa

Irakere: Latin Jazz

Chucho Valdez: Latin Jazz

Azuca Negra: Latin Jazz

Polo Montanez: Guajiro

David Calzado y su Habanera Charanga: Salsa Timba

Haila: Salsa

Orishas: Hip Hop

That should keep you busy, all are out of Cuba. My favorites are Los Van Van and Polo Montanez. He died a few years ago in a car accident but his music is wonderful. He is from the heart of tobaco land, Pinar del Rio. Polo is a classic!

the afro cuban all stars and buena vista social club are great gateways to cuban music. there is also a multi-disk set called hecho en cuba that is a compilation of various songs and singers that gives you a great understanding of the depth and diversity of the music. my favorite all time? ferrer.

thanks to all and especially puros71. that is a great list. do have quite a few here. the hecho 3-set is one i mentioned. los van van is a favourite - another that were playing when i was there (the cuban girls were having a reaction somewhat similar to what the early beatles must have inspired). this gives us all lots to listen to. keep 'em coming!

» thanks to all and especially puros71. that is a great list. do have quite a

» few here. the hecho 3-set is one i mentioned. los van van is a favourite -

» another that were playing when i was there (the cuban girls were having a

» reaction somewhat similar to what the early beatles must have inspired).

» this gives us all lots to listen to. keep 'em coming!

Oh yes some Polo "Guajiro Natural" when I want to relax and enjoy over a nice puro and expresso. Life is good guys!

while on this topic, just happened to be passing the tv the other day and heard some bloke being introduced as leading the new wave of country and western meets latin fusion (i assumed that meant he'd be singing about someone raping his goat in spanish) but it wasn't too awful (trust me, the music works better than attempting to combine the two from a fashion aspect).

is this a new thing in the states?

and i assure you that you can try all you like but i will never be convined by country and western music (the ultimate oxymoron). c&w is the sauv blanc of the music world.

the only major disappointment i have had was when our esteemed el pres actually teamed up with 'manuel the shyster' in playa giron to convince me to pay $15 for a CD (manuel was a shyster and a dill but he could play the trumpet like an angel and his mates were also sensational) for manuel andhis band. it was, of course, completely blank - like almost all the CDsyou will buy on the streets - and i found out later that rob got five bucks commission

:lol2: Yes I had forgotten that one. I am a bad man :-D