Aging Siglo VI's

Hi all

Just purchased a box 10 Cohiba Siglo VI - Jun 15 from today's 24:24 - I've smoked many Cohibas, never the 6.

3 questions

1- would you smoke one this fresh ROTT

2- in order to get the absolute best out of them how long must they rest?

3- what's the profile compared to a Robusto?

Looking forward to your thoughts

AC

If it were me, I would let them rest for 5 yrs+. I have a 2008 box that is heavenly right now - beany/ grassy flavours. They may get even better with a few more yrs but who knows. If they last for much longer it will be only be a happy accident, as Im smoking them now as they are great now.

But its really up to your own palate. Some like these young, and though I cant vouch for it, many say recent VI's smoke well ROTT. Youve only 10 to play with, so perhaps take a middle road - smoke 1 every year to gauge how they develop. And even better perhaps buy another 10 to sleep whilst smoking this box gradually (and ramp up smoking when you feel they are at the point of awesome.. youll know when they get there).

• Like 3

If you've smoked many cohiba's, smoke one ROTT and base it off your past experience? The Robusto included.

I'd do my best to keep them for 3-4 years, smoking one each year and taking notes. Your taste might change 2 years deep.

Nice purchase either way.

lol if they weren't so expensive I would buy 10 for sleep 10 for smoke - I literally will buy Cohibas maybe one box a year - for a box of robust is I can usually get two boxes of monte 4s lol

Thanks for the advice think I'll let them sleep for a while then gradually sample

Dimmers wish I had patience to age a box for that long!

Dimmers wish I had patience to age a box for that long!

Another happy accident, basically buy more than you can possibly smoke and you'll start aging stuff !

• Like 1

Perfect idea in theory, cept wont be able to keep up with my VISA

At the moment, I'm thinking with box of 25's, smoke the top layer and age the bottom haha

Maybe I need to cut down to just smoking 2-3 on a weekend ;(

I consider smoking Cohibas younger than five years infanticide. The cigars can become so good compared to what they are fresh that I have learned to let them be. If you must sample them make sure the cigar is properly humidified, say 62% rh for a week.

I have a mate who hated Cohibas, much too strong/harsh for his liking. He didn't know about laying down cigars for any period of time. I gave him one to try with around 5 yrs on (a IV i think), and he has now converted to the one true faith. And he is laying stuff down, sampling as he goes.

But its really up to your own palate. Some like these young, and though I cant vouch for it, many say recent VI's smoke well ROTT. Youve only 10 to play with, so perhaps take a middle road - smoke 1 every year to gauge how they develop. And even better perhaps buy another 10 to sleep whilst smoking this box gradually (and ramp up smoking when you feel they are at the point of awesome.. youll know when they get there).

This is exactly why I snagged 2 boxes. And I don't plan on touching one until next September.

Guys. How do the favors change generally with age? I've got IVs from 2014 and Vs from 2013 that I lucked up on. I also jumped on VIs from the 24:24 yesterday. I've noticed that the 2013 sticks are fairly smooth but the flavor is not very strong (not intense). Ultimate question, for a siglo does age just lessen ammonia on the finish or develop other flavors as well?

Guys. How do the favors change generally with age? I've got IVs from 2014 and Vs from 2013 that I lucked up on. I also jumped on VIs from the 24:24 yesterday. I've noticed that the 2013 sticks are fairly smooth but the flavor is not very strong (not intense). Ultimate question, for a siglo does age just lessen ammonia on the finish or develop other flavors as well?

you will not encounter ammonia.those days are in the past.

you will gain depth of flavor and balance ,complexity.

Cohiba are too subtle for some folks,especially the Siglo series............

Siglo VI - Jun 15...smoke one this fresh...how long must they rest?

Mierda is mierda regardless of how long you age them for.

The late BTO 13 and early MUO 13-14 codes are amazing - no aging required - when cigars are good, it is just good

And this.

• Like 1

The late BTO 13 and early MUO 13-14 codes are amazing - no aging required - when cigars are good, it is just good

As stated these codes and years have smoked great ROTT. But outside of that for me least, 5 plus years on Cohibas at a minimum. At over 10 years you really have a special cigar if stored correctly. Had always been a CORU fan but the last few years have grown to really love aged Sig VI's.

This couldn't be more true. I never would have thought I would have smoked 17 Siglo VI in a year ever! But I can't get enough of them. The 2013 BTO are brilliant!

• Like 1

So do box codes matter or not? Some say they do. Other say they don't.

But then you have a thread like this one where there seem to be a magical box code for a certain year.

Like 2013 BTO and MUO 2013-2014.

So do box codes matter or not? Some say they do. Other say they don't.

But then you have a thread like this one where there seem to be a magical box code for a certain year.

Like 2013 BTO and MUO 2013-2014.

It's kind of like asking what stock market will do tomorrow, or how to find a truly delicious bottle of Bordeaux. There's a lot of factors and historical context that you have to consider before arriving at a conclusion. Then there's finally a matter of taste. I've talked to enough people now to know that people don't agree due to one of three reasons:

1) they do not have the time to conduct the research and find it easier to be in a state of denial

2) met the wrong people and didn't have the opportunity to properly educate themselves, but would if given the chance

3) or, simply can't grasp that there may be something they don't understand and thus reject the premise entirely

Of course, then there's the next level of a-holes who claim box codes don't matter as long as they are selling, but are paramount when they are buying. These are my favorite of the group. The duplicity is so massive and their ego is so huge, that they think no one can see how full of sht they are. It's just too good.

It's kind of like asking what stock market will do tomorrow, or how to find a truly delicious bottle of Bordeaux. There's a lot of factors and historical context that you have to consider before arriving at a conclusion. Then there's finally a matter of taste. I've talked to enough people now to know that people don't agree due to one of three reasons:

1) they do not have the time to conduct the research and find it easier to be in a state of denial

2) met the wrong people and didn't have the opportunity to properly educate themselves, but would if given the chance

3) or, simply can't grasp that there may be something they don't understand and thus reject the premise entirely

Of course, then there's the next level of a-holes who claim box codes don't matter as long as they are selling, but are paramount when they are buying. These are my favorite of the group. The duplicity is so massive and their ego is so huge, that they think no one can see how full of sht they are. It's just too good.

1), 2) and 3) all look the same to me: ignorance. The case of the a-holes is hypocrisy.

Let's say there are 10 box codes per cigar per year, are there actually people who smoke each and every single box code to determine which is/are best? If so, what are the parameters, the variables? Since taste is subjective (no quantification), the research should be considered invalid, nul.

I heard stories where people in Cuban factories passed along information on box codes to outsiders who were willing to pay for it. That would imply that some box code(s) represent cigars: better tobacco leaves (better crops, region, attention/care, etc), better rollers (more experience, skill, know-how, etc), better this, better that. A certain, even if indirect, quantification appears - which would imply that yes, cigar boxes do matter?

Just thinking out loud.