Cigar with the most Cuban 'twang' flavor

Hello Fellow FOHers,

I have often heard people describe some Cuban cigars as having a certain 'twang' flavor profile. I find this most evident in Juan Lopez No.2. For me, it is a rather rich combination of ginger bread, nutmeg, paprika, and sweet cooking spices.

I am curious to hear others thoughts on this and which cigars give them the most of this flavor.

Thank you,

Curtiss

Is there such a thing as the mythical "Cuban twang" that presents upon smoking? I tend to think not based on my experience. That is, if it means a characteristic that can reliably differentiate between Cubans and non-Cubans with low false positives and false negatives. I do, however, think there is closer to something like this in terms of box aroma.

Wilkey

The "Twang" can be found most IMHO in Partagas 898; H.Upmann Sir Winston; Ramon Allones Gigantes; and when (or if) it can be located anymore; Punch Black Prince.

Is there such a thing as the mythical "Cuban twang" that presents upon smoking? I tend to think not based on my experience. That is, if it means a characteristic that can reliably differentiate between Cubans and non-Cubans with low false positives and false negatives. I do, however, think there is closer to something like this in terms of box aroma.

Wilkey

I have some friends that claim that there is a "twang" and that is distinct to Cubans.

Lets just say that we did a taste test of cigars with no bands... identified by numbers. The question was... Cuban or NC.

Utter failure to identify anything by this "twang" ...

I have some friends that claim that there is a "twang" and that is distinct to Cubans.

Lets just say that we did a taste test of cigars with no bands... identified by numbers. The question was... Cuban or NC.

Utter failure to identify anything by this "twang" ...

Thank you for reporting this little test. Informative.

Wilkey

Is there such a thing as the mythical "Cuban twang" that presents upon smoking? I tend to think not based on my experience.

AFAIK, this notion of "twang" doesn't exist in the european cigar culture. The word doesn't translate nor has an equivalent in french or spanish or italian.

Very interesting question. I'm eager to see how the thread develops.

I've often wondered about "twang" my ownself.

Personally, I've never experienced any flavor that I would describe as twang. Barnyard, yes. Earth, yes. Pepper/spice, yes. But never twang. What is it? Is it a flavor? Pungent? Tart? Salty? Is it sensation linked to mouthfeel of the smoke? Maybe I really have experienced it but haven't used that word to describe it.

Like I say, I'm eager to read what others say about this.

I find what might be considered twang, or perhaps more aptly (in my mind) flavor burst or spice burst, in many, many Cuban cigars -

but only upon lighting and first draw or two. It always subsides.

Yes. Especially a spice burst. But I've never thought of it in terms of twang.

AFAIK, this notion of "twang" doesn't exist in the european cigar culture. The word doesn't translate nor has an equivalent in french or spanish or italian.

Ahhh. I would be very much interested in learning how the "twang" concept emerged (here in the Americas?) and conversely why it did not in Europe. I'm sure this would make for a fascinating historical, sociological study.

Wilkey

Ahhh. I would be very much interested in learning how the "twang" concept emerged (here in the Americas?) and conversely why it did not in Europe. I'm sure this would make for a fascinating historical, sociological study.

Wilkey

And does the "twang" concept exist in the Asia/Pacific area?

But I've never thought of it in terms of twang.

I agree with you guys that as a descriptor, "twang" is a bit lacking. I think if I had to choose one flavor element that I find in common with

most Cuban cigars it would be a sense of smooth vanilla, to one degree or another.

I fail to understand this "twang" , I smoke Cubans for quite a long time.

Some start with a strong burst of spice, some don't, are they not Cuban by this definition?

Some evolve and take on a journey, some stay their course , they are still Cuban.

I think it is just human nature to over simplify things, Twang is for Cubans, spice bomb big gauge cigars are for non Cubans...

sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

Twang used to be the forethought when I began smoking CCs exclusively. I wondered what it was for years until I started mastering my stocks and soups in the kitchen. I would describe as a balance of taste. The forces of Sweet, Sour, Bitter, Salty and Umami all battling each other for supremacy. I don't think one vitola or marca has it more over the other, all have the potential. I take it for granted now, but am reminded every time I pick up a cigar from other than the forbidden island.

As pointed out by someone else, I as a European have never used this descriptor and have up to now never understood what it means. That said, a look at my Oxford English Dictionary gives me the following definition, worth pondering I think: "a penetrating or persistent taste, flavour or odour, usually disagreeable." Should we write another definition more appropriate to CC and which one should we offer?

Hello Fellow FOHers,

I have often heard people describe some Cuban cigars as having a certain 'twang' flavor profile. I find this most evident in Juan Lopez No.2. For me, it is a rather rich combination of ginger bread, nutmeg, paprika, and sweet cooking spices.

I am curious to hear others thoughts on this and which cigars give them the most of this flavor.

Thank you,

Curtiss

The Cuban "twang" is that distictive taste characteristic that is unique to Cuban tobacco which is hard to describe other than a pleasant tart or tang flavor. It is not tasted in Dominican,Honduran or Nicaraguan tobacco because it is produced by the soil and climatic conditions that are unique to the Vuelta Abajo region. Some folks say it is an acidic taste produced by young, unaged tobacco but they are wrong because I taste it in cigars that have been aged for many years. My best example of that "distictive" flavor is in the Ramon Allones Specially Selected cigars, they just have that flavor that is pure Cuban and no other non Cuban cigar resembles their taste.

Should we write another definition more appropriate to CC and which one should we offer?

Perhaps the Cuban mirage?

But even that's not really accurate. I say this because there are NC-C pairings that would be easy to decide, even for the relatively inexperienced (e.g., La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Lancero v Trinidad Fundadores, blindfolded, of course). Others, however, classification would be at chance even for an experienced Habanos smoker (e.g., Cabaiguan Guapos 46 v H. Hpmann Magnum 46).

I suppose I'm saying that the Cuban twang, if such a thing exists, only becomes something real in the context of a specific cigar pairing and not in general across the entire population of NCs v Cs. That is, it's a meta characteristic that emerges when the appropriate comparative pairing is made.

Wilkey

Perhaps the Cuban mirage?

But even that's not really accurate. I say this because there are NC-C pairings that would be easy to decide, even for the relatively inexperienced (e.g., La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Lancero v Trinidad Fundadores, blindfolded, of course). Others, however, classification would be at chance even for an experienced Habanos smoker (e.g., Cabaiguan Guapos 46 v H. Hpmann Magnum 46).

I suppose I'm saying that the Cuban twang, if such a thing exists, only becomes something real in the context of a specific cigar pairing and not in general across the entire population of NCs v Cs. That is, it's a meta characteristic that emerges when the appropriate comparative pairing is made.

Wilkey

Wilkey makes an excellent argument.

This is such a difficult issue. Very metaphysical.

I honestly don't know what to say.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not exactly sure, either - Jimmy's blind tasting comes to mind :)

The Cuban "twang" is that distictive taste characteristic that is unique to Cuban tobacco which is hard to describe other than a pleasant tart or tang flavor. .....Some folks say it is an acidic taste produced by young, unaged tobacco but they are wrong because I taste it in cigars that have been aged for many years.

This is how I have always defined "twang", as a tangy, somewhat acidic flavor that is found primarily, but not exlusively, in young Habanos. Sometimes it is a sharp sensation, like citrus, but as the cigar matures, it evolves into various tangy fruit flavors.