younger cigar smokers?

I am 24 and started smoking cigars (while not good ones) at 21 and only getting into finer sticks over the past year. I found that my friends will smoke an occasional cigar with me for a special occasion (wedding, birthday, late night after a lot of vodka), but do not share my interest in relaxing and enjoying a good smoke. For whatever reason, I also started becoming interested in swiss watches at the same time as good cigars.

Does anybody else have the same problem?

I am almost 29. Had my first 'quality' cigar at 16 - a Hoyo NC. I've been hooked since then, buying first in 3's, then 5, 10's and graduated to boxes. Started smoking Cubans at 22 when my boss at my first job invited me over to his family Sunday brunch. Was sold.

I have about 15 boxes or assorted Cubans ranging from 1998 to present. I store them all in various size desktop humidors. I'd prefer a end table cabinet, which is what I am saving up for. I can only imagine by obsession will just take-off from there.

My parents aren't too keen with me smoking, mostly for health purposes - but my mom often enjoys trying what I am currently smoking. My girlfriends loves the smell of the aroma and doesn't really mind me smoking - just asks that I brush before I kiss her. She knows that my hobby makes me happy.

To everyone else that questions my habit. Eff 'em

22 here. Love my cigars, started properly on my 21 st birthday when a mate bought me a 3 pack of monte petit edmundos. Loved them and how they capture a moment.

I get a bit of **** when people learn i smoke them but 90% of people are actually interested when you tell them a bit more about the hobby, culture, flavours etc. Also, the majority of friends I've given smokes to (and they are willing to try) have enjoyed them!

Quality will always be appreciated whatever it is.

Enjoy your smokes whatver age you are! :P

Smoked cigarettes since 14, cigars since 26. No more cigarettes for a long time. Putrid, foul smelling and tasting now. I'm not knocking cigarette smokers, hell do what you wanna do and I will do the same.

I'm 36 now, soon to be 37, and I wish I had gotten into purchasing and aging cigars at the age of you young guns out there.

Smoke in good health guys.

I'm 23 now, started smoking cigars at 20. I'm kinda glad I start early because when I'm 30/40 I'll have a fair amount of knowledge, a huge collection of properly aged cigars and most importantly I'll have smoke some great cigar that have been taken out of production (can you imagine living in a world without having tried the Partagas Serie Du Connoisseur line?)

I often get stares when I light up a cigar or walk into a shop (most recently in Paris where the owner told a customer/employee that I was probably bluffing about liking cigars) And sometimes my family doesn't really approve, but my parents got pretty supportive after they realized this was a hobby that would stick!

The only problem about smoking cigars at a young age is that cigars don't really fit a students budget, on the other side from age 15 to 19 I bought computer games all the time and two games is about the same amount of an average box of robustos or anything smaller and for the price of a console you have a humidor, so basically my spendings just shifted :P

The bold indicates to me, the single largest flaw in H SA et al approach to business. The model that they choose, chasing golfers, does not provide for a lifetime of valued, loyal customers. While cigarettes are still chosen by young folks, that market is abandoned by H SA. While no one is likely going to argue the "health effects" of any form of tobacco use, in my mind, cigars are the least riskiest form. Good cigars should be made affordable to all willing to enjoy them and the manufacturing costs allow this to be a reality, while H SA's marketing perspective prohibits it!

I started with Dutch type dry cigars at 21. That was a long time ago but I am still a kid at heart. Kiddies... I raise my glass to you and hope you will join me in the fight to save the cigars that have made cigar smoking worthwhile to an old fart like me!!! Cheers mates. Nice thread! -Piggy

I started enjoying an occasional cigar at 16, and became serious about the hobby at 22, when I got a part time job at a tobacconist. Bought my 1st box of Cubans 3 years ago (24 years old at the time).

Unfortunately, I haven't encountered many smokers my age.. especially up here in the NE US..

MY UNSOLICITED ADVICE TO YOU CIGAR-SMOKING COLLEGE STUDENTS (and single guys/gals)

To you young guns who are college students: Relish in the idea that when you graduate from college and make the big bucks, you will have the money to buy the cigars that you know you love. Boxes and boxes will be waiting for you......that is unless you get married.

So here it is: Buy your aristocrats, your RE's, LE's, your rare cigars, lighters, ashtrays, humidors etc. before you get married!!!

MY UNSOLICITED ADVICE TO YOU CIGAR-SMOKING COLLEGE STUDENTS (and single guys/gals)

To you young guns who are college students: Relish in the idea that when you graduate from college and make the big bucks, you will have the money to buy the cigars that you know you love. Boxes and boxes will be waiting for you......that is unless you get married.

So here it is: Buy your aristocrats, your RE's, LE's, your rare cigars, lighters, ashtrays, humidors etc. before you get married!!!

cant wait to have my "MAN YEARS" after school... Cars and Cigars is all im spending money on... o yea cant forget about the beer too

I am twenty-five and have been smoking cigars since I was twenty (Cubans almost exclusively). And I have never succumbed to the quasi-blasphemous practise of smoking a cigarette.

This forum provides a constant stream of advice around marriage, 99% of it, it seems, points to not getting married :blink:

I'm 30 and smoked my first cuban when I was 18 but did not take a serious interest until I was 24. I've been buying boxes since then but would have to second the earlier quote about getting married, as having done so recently would certainly vouch for it having a profound effect on your purchasing of cigars (bad news for Rob!). Unfortunately I am a one or two boxes a year man now but I still enjoy singles but pay UK prices for them (ouch!).

In the short period that I have been smoking I have seen a lot of changes. There are so many RE's now and also I've seen LE's come into regular stream. Just wish I had bought a couple of boxes of Cohiba Sublimes back when they were available as I am sure they command a huge premium now. Also very much hope that Habanos SA retains many of the smaller volume smokes particularly thin RG cigars as I grow tired of hearing about all of the new jaw dislocating sizes that seem to be released these days - 54RG, 56RG - and also what is the obsession with doing the same size in 'short' - I'd rather smoke a normal robusto rather than a short one, or normal pyrimade rather than a short. Just me. I also dread the day when the party connaissuer series comes back as an LE or RE it will be such a shame

21 year old here, just got into cigars. Started smoking them on and off when I was around 20 years old. I officially started when my friends and I started frequenting the local cigar bar. Since then we've all developed a love for them.